I have had the honor of blowing shofar at my synagogue since the year my father died. I practice during the entire moth of Elul, the month before Rosh Hashanah.
When I practice, I do a run through with each of the shofarot you see here. One was a bar mitzvah gift given to my nephew, the other was a bar mitzvah gift given to my son. The black one is easy to blow. the paler one is difficult to blow.
Each time I practice I do a run though first with the difficult shofar and then with the easy one.
.
As a small child I was told that the three different sounds of the shofar correspond to a wail, and then sobs and finally completely broken up sobbing.
I can produce a long shofar blast. A previous year I read that one needs to make all of the blasts exactly the same length. For a while I worked on perfecting that skill.
My role as a shofar blower is a complicated one. It isn't a performance. I want the sound to be felt inside the bodies of the people in my congregation. When you hear a good shofar blower, at first you hear the sound but when the sound is sustained you begin to feel the sound reverberating in your chest.
My task is also to somehow send the hopes and prayers of my community up to the great Divine. It's a powerful honor



Comments
Post a Comment
I love hearing from my readers. I moderate comments to weed out bots.It may take a little while for your comment to appear.