Skip to main content

Reminders of harder times

 Yesterday I looked out of my window and 


Brian Stokes Mitchell sang "The Impossible Dream" from the Juliette balcony on the right most nights during the 7:00pm cheer

saw this scaffolding going up. All of you who live in New York know exactly what this is.  In 1979 a Columbia student was killed by a piece of  loose masonry hat fell from a building in the neighborhood. Since then, every five years every residential building in the city is inspected and every bit of masonry that might be a danger in the future is repaired.

This law has had a couple of consequences. The first is that it has kept all of us safer. Another is that the law has been a boondoggle for  scaffolding companies, construction engineers and contractors.

The scaffolding keeps the workers safe


and also keeps pedestrians safe from falling rubble.

As an additional safety measure


after the scaffolding goes up a layer of screening covers the outside of the scaffolding. Being inside the the scaffolding and screening


is somewhat depressing.



Our building was covered in scaffolding during COVID. We were, all of us indoors and isolated. 



Seeing the scaffolding going up across the street brings up so many memories of the terrifying time of COVID. And it is the 25th anniversary of 9/11. And it is nearly October 7. So all of those memories of hard times are very much on my mind. One can't help but revisit those difficult times.


And now a completely different topic.

Tuesday we closed up the little cabin we rented by a lake this summer. Please read that as: completely packing up the cabin, scrubbing every surface so we could return it sparkling to our lovely landlord. Packing up a car with all of the food and STUFF from the cabin. Unpacking all of it in our apartment. Washing everything that we brought home because lake living is a little bit dank and musty. Packing all of the food from the country into our still packed from Rosh Hashanah fridge and freezer and pantry. It has been a whole lot of stuff. We are slowly Un-Collyer Brothers our apartment.


However a lovely moment from the lake when I took a little break from cleaning.


This is just two of a flock of turkeys that was strolling near the lake.


And a household hint:

Musty pillows can be refreshed (destinkified and fluffed) by putting them in a dryer with a damp towel while on a low setting. This also works for down quilts.

The laundry pile is smaller. The fridge is no longer looking like Fibber McGee's closet and we get ready for Yom Kippur.


And just a reminder to people or bots wanting to post comments. I am delighted to post comments from actual human readers. I will not post comments that are actually random advertisements. I am talking to you nursing schools in Pakistan, and exterminators from Dubai and digital embroidery companies. Even if you post comments on dozens of posts in a day, if your comment is an ad or a link to your business I am not posting it. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

מְחַיֵּה הַמֵּתִים

  וְנֶאֱמָן אַתָּה לְהַחֲיוֹת מֵתִים: בָּרוּךְ אַתָּה יְהֹוָה מְחַיֵּה הַמֵּתִים   You are faithful to restore the dead to life. Blessed are You, Adonoy, Resurrector of the dead. That particular line is recited at every single prayer service every day three times a day, unless you use a Reform or Reconstructionist prayer book . In those liturgies instead of praising God for resurrecting the dead God is praised for  giving life to all.  I am enough of a modern woman, a modern thinker, to not actually believe in the actual resurrection of the dead. I don't actually expect all of the residents of the Workmen's Circle section of  Mount Hebron cemetery in Queens to get up and get back to work at their sewing machines. I don't expect the young children buried here or  the babies buried here to one day get up and frolic. Yet, every single time I get up to lead services I say those words about the reanimating of the dead with every fiber of my being. Yesterday, I e...

Connecting with the past

A few months ago I had a craving for my father’s chicken fricassee.  If my father were still alive I would have called him up and he would have talked me through the process of making it.    My father is no longer alive so I turned to my cookbooks and the recipes I found for chicken fricassee were nothing at all like the stew of chicken necks, gizzards and wings in a watery sweet and sour tomato sauce that I enjoyed as a kid.  I assumed that the dish was an invention of my father’s. I then attempted to replicate the dish from my memory of it and failed.   A couple of weeks ago I saw an article on the internet, and I can’t remember where, that talked about Jewish fricassee  and it sounded an awful lot like the dish I was hankering after. This afternoon I went to the butcher and picked up all of the chicken elements of the dish, a couple of packages each of wings, necks and gizzards. My father never cooked directly from a cook book. He used to re...

Food friday - your grandmother's food processor

My grandmother bought my mother this wooden bowl and a chopping knife, known in Yiddish as a hock-messer, soon after my parents got married. Yes, she also got them a dairy set as well. these wooden bowls and chopping knives were a big part of food prep when I was growing up. meatloaf and meat balls were mixed in this bowl. Chopped liver was made in this bowl as well. Sundays we often made chicken salad for lunch made out of chicken left over from Shabbat chopped with vegetables and mayo. That too, was made in this bowl. When I was in college my parents got their first food processor and the chopping bowls were not used as much. Several years ago, my father asked if i would like the bowls and the hock-messers. I was happy to have them. I like the sheer physicality of chopping up a big bowl of stuff into teeny pieces. While the wooden bowls have stood up well to the years of use, the hock-messers had not. The bladed which were bolted into their handles, wobbled. The blades wouldn't ...