Skip to main content

Creating light


 Yesterday's stenciled strips of raw silk now look like this...


These stripes are now complete with lettering and have a nice ribbon edging.



The metallic ribbon is vintage and is probably older than I am---and I remember the Nixon administration well.



Below is the work that I completed today.



The darker bronze colored metallic braid is also vintage although I can't precisely date it. 









Thank you for indulging me and looking at all of these photos.




I am feeling quite pleased with myself.



I have also begun embellishing the atara.



The atara is made out of linen woven with Lurex . I hand embroidered the letters. They may need a dark outline to stand out a bit better against the gold.


Sarah had asked for a bit of beading on the atara. There will be more.

Today's visit to Whole Foods included this surprise. When my parents' friends would visit Florida they would often give us a box of coconut  patties.

We loved eating them even though they weren't exactly good. They were dry and far too sweet, sort of like eating chocolate covered pencil shavings. We all looked forward to eating them whenever they showed up at our house.The patties were a symbol of a glamorous life enjoying warm weather during the coldest days of winter. 









Comments

  1. You should feel pleased. The tallit is very beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every time, every time I make a tallit mI reach a point when I think that this is just going to end in disaster...something ugly and a really unhappy client. I am anxious because this needs to be completed ASAP...and shipped across the country in time for Yom Kippur... I am feeling some glimmerings of hope that I can get this done in time.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love hearing from my readers. I moderate comments to weed out bots.It may take a little while for your comment to appear.

Popular posts from this blog

מְחַיֵּה הַמֵּתִים

  וְנֶאֱמָן אַתָּה לְהַחֲיוֹת מֵתִים: בָּרוּךְ אַתָּה יְהֹוָה מְחַיֵּה הַמֵּתִים   You are faithful to restore the dead to life. Blessed are You, Adonoy, Resurrector of the dead. That particular line is recited at every single prayer service every day three times a day, unless you use a Reform or Reconstructionist prayer book . In those liturgies instead of praising God for resurrecting the dead God is praised for  giving life to all.  I am enough of a modern woman, a modern thinker, to not actually believe in the actual resurrection of the dead. I don't actually expect all of the residents of the Workmen's Circle section of  Mount Hebron cemetery in Queens to get up and get back to work at their sewing machines. I don't expect the young children buried here or  the babies buried here to one day get up and frolic. Yet, every single time I get up to lead services I say those words about the reanimating of the dead with every fiber of my being. Yesterday, I e...

Connecting with the past

A few months ago I had a craving for my father’s chicken fricassee.  If my father were still alive I would have called him up and he would have talked me through the process of making it.    My father is no longer alive so I turned to my cookbooks and the recipes I found for chicken fricassee were nothing at all like the stew of chicken necks, gizzards and wings in a watery sweet and sour tomato sauce that I enjoyed as a kid.  I assumed that the dish was an invention of my father’s. I then attempted to replicate the dish from my memory of it and failed.   A couple of weeks ago I saw an article on the internet, and I can’t remember where, that talked about Jewish fricassee  and it sounded an awful lot like the dish I was hankering after. This afternoon I went to the butcher and picked up all of the chicken elements of the dish, a couple of packages each of wings, necks and gizzards. My father never cooked directly from a cook book. He used to re...

Food friday - your grandmother's food processor

My grandmother bought my mother this wooden bowl and a chopping knife, known in Yiddish as a hock-messer, soon after my parents got married. Yes, she also got them a dairy set as well. these wooden bowls and chopping knives were a big part of food prep when I was growing up. meatloaf and meat balls were mixed in this bowl. Chopped liver was made in this bowl as well. Sundays we often made chicken salad for lunch made out of chicken left over from Shabbat chopped with vegetables and mayo. That too, was made in this bowl. When I was in college my parents got their first food processor and the chopping bowls were not used as much. Several years ago, my father asked if i would like the bowls and the hock-messers. I was happy to have them. I like the sheer physicality of chopping up a big bowl of stuff into teeny pieces. While the wooden bowls have stood up well to the years of use, the hock-messers had not. The bladed which were bolted into their handles, wobbled. The blades wouldn't ...