When I was growing up occasionally the Jewish bakeries would have a few slabs of tzibbile pletzle, onion board out on top of the counter. My father would always sigh a big sentimental sigh and but a chunk which we would share . I don't think that I remember tzibbile pletzle ever even making to the car. It was always consumed standing, often while still in the bakery. The bakeries used to make the pletzele out of challah dough and top it with chopped onions and poppy seeds.
My husband despises onions but loves onion rolls and tzibbile pletzle. No, I don't understand that either but that is one of the big mysteries of life. I didn't have extra challah dough hanging around but I did have a bunch of bread dough in the fridge. About a third of it got turned into stove top baked naan.
I was in the mood for tzibbile pletzle so I stretched put the dough. I chopped an onion and cooked it in the microwave with some fresh thyme olive oil and honey and spread it over the dough . I then added lots of poppy seeds.
It was delicious. It was extra delicious spread with a bit of the goat cheese flavored with honey ad figs that my sister had brought me as a house gift. My onion hating husband nibbled away at the pletzel as it cooled. This bread---an eastern European cousin to Pita zaatar and focaccia was eaten really quickly.
I made another bread yesterday, Just a simple peasant loaf with some whole oats to give a bit of texture. I cut a slice for myself for lunch. I lopped the bread with grated zucchini and added fresh thyme. ( I should have added some black pepper. I heated the zucchini topped bread for a couple of minutes in the microwave and topped the whole thing with thin slices of Irish cheddar. This is exactly the sort of thing that I would have shared
my mother so loved. Mattress ticking!!! My mother would have been so delighted. She probably wouldn't have chosen that neckline for herself but it is close enough to what she loved.


Comments
Post a Comment
I love hearing from my readers. I moderate comments to weed out bots.It may take a little while for your comment to appear.