Through the wonders of the internet...

I was able to unearth photos of my great aunt's grave.


Fanny, Feige Tzivia as she was known in the family was my grandfather's little sister. Below you see her with her husband Nathan.



The enamel portrait of Feige Tzivia was torn away. The Hebrew reads "Here lies a woman of young days, Mrs Feige Tzivia, Daughter of Zalman Pesach who died on the fourteenth of Tishrei".


The fourteenth of Tishrei is this Friday. My sister will light a yahrzeit candle for her. I won't be able to light a candle since I will be in the air on my way to Israel.

My mother was born just a few years later and carried her aunt's name. I am not going to catalog all of the ripples of loss and grief that followed the death of Feige Tzivia, but 101 years later some of those ripples are still being felt.



I was able to share this photo with Feige Tzivya's grandchildren and it gave them all a measure of comfort.



You too can use findagrave.com to look up your own relatives.



Comments

  1. Thank you for sharing this! It’s so wonderful to be able to uncover our history together 🤗 - cousin Angela (Nancy’s daughter, Fanny’s great grand daughter)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Angela!! So happy that you found this!!! BTW I have, with help, been able to trace Feige Tzivia's line back to the late 1700s on her mom's side. Shoot me an email (sj.hand@verizon.net) and I can share it with you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love hearing from my readers. I moderate comments to weed out bots.It may take a little while for your comment to appear.