Summer dresses tend to have shorter lifetimes than cooler weather dresses. Sweat and frequent laundering tend to be hard on fabric.
Earlier this morning I was steaming the creases out of a batch of dresses and, it seemed to me like a good subject for a post.
One of the things that I love about the black and white dress is that although I didn't match the pattern at the center seamlines, they are perfectly matched at the side seams. Another thing that I love about the dress is that it reminds me of both Sharri and my mother each time i wear it. The dress evokes the kind of woman who wore Marimekko dresses in the summer in the 1960s and 70s and that moment of change and possibility.
I purchased a bolt remnant of this fabric at my local thrift. while it evoked the same moment in time as the Marimekko the fabric had a country club vibe. The fabric looks like linen but it is a mystery synthetic. I can't wear it when it is really hot out. The first time I wore the dress to synagogue (with giant pearls) my friend Vivian who grew up in the county club adjacent suburbs of Philadelphia immediately got that this dress was a joke---a send-up of the fancy ladies that our mothers aspired to be. I turned the rest of the fabric on the bolt into a table cloth. I will occasionally wear the dress on Friday nights when that cloth is on the table. You can read whatever commentary on feminine domesticity into that choice.
This dress is about a constellation of errors. The fabric also came my way via dead old lady. I don't know the original owner of the fabric. It is Indian batik cotton that is in a colorway that was popular in the late 1960s and early 1970s. When the fabrics were new, the two oranges were the same color. many washes later the border fabric is a true orange and the fabric in the main body of the dress is now a salmon color.
When I first made this dress the bodice was too small so I pieced a bit more fabric into the back seam. I had somehow put in the zipper both off center and crooked. The waistline was in an awkward place. I loved the fabric so I did what most of my sewing friends would do. I wadded it up and put it away. After a couple of years I pulled the dress out of wadder-land tried it on and reevaluated. The problems that had seemed insurmountable a few years ago now seemed like an easy fix. I removed the zipper, reinstalled it and while the dress is technically imperfect it actually looks pretty good on with a belt and garners lots of compliments every time I wear it.
I had once gotten a length of khaki linen in a mystery bundle of fabric. I turned it into an Eileen Fisher/ Flaxx style tank dress with a bit of embellishment at the neck. For some reason it had seemed like a disaster when I had first made it and it too resided in wadder-land for a couple of years. I pulled it out of purgatory and tried it on at the beginning of the summer and either little elves did their magic while I wasn't looking or perhaps all the dress needed was for me to drop a few pounds. I can't always bear wearing this color but for the right moment it is a nice dress to wear when it is hot and muggy out.
This dress isn't technically a summer dress I wear it all year round. It is a dress that looks awful on the hanger. But on the body and belted I have never not felt great in this dress. I bought the fabric from Kashi at Metro. I loved the creased striped knit so much that I purchased it in two other colors ( grey and green) and all three dresses are worn often.
I loved the fabric so much that I purchased the coordinating sweater knit. I made one failed attempt to make a dress out of the far too floppy sweater knit and turned some of the failure into a shrug.
Like summer, summer dresses are momentary. After a season or two they will be residing in the rag bag.
Comments
Post a Comment
I love hearing from my readers. I moderate comments to weed out bots.It may take a little while for your comment to appear.