Skip to main content

It has started!!!!

 


It is official. The Passover races have begun. I have started this year, as I do every year with the annual stripping of the wax off of my kitchen floor. One of my sisters reminded me that her late father-in-law, the Jewish scholar, used to tell her every year that you don't eat off the floor during Passover. Although this task isn't a halachic requirement, for me it jump-starts my getting ready for the holiday.



We are changing the dishes on Saturday night but we need to hunt and gather food for the holiday. Today's adventure was to Moishe's Supermarket on Avenue M in Brooklyn.


Usually, I make the annual Brooklyn pilgrimage with my neighbor. ( I actually may go with ner next week as well) Today I went with my husband. 

Shopping at a typical Manhattan supermarket is something of a shock for those of you who live in the suburbs. Our local supermarkets are small and crowded. Moishe's is always something of a culture shock for me because it is so much more packed with both people and product than our Manhattan markets.  As crowded as Moishe's is during the year, before Passover, shopping at Moishe's is akin to an episode of Supermarket Sweep but with a couple of hundred crazed shoppers all shopping at the same time instead of only three pairs of shoppers. The closer you get to the holiday the crazier the experience.


Today the store was only medium-crazed. There are years when I felt like I needed a REALLY strong drink by the time I checked out.


We did not purchase the Chrayonnaise. Chrayonnaise is a product that my kids and I find incredibly amusing. My kids always dare me to buy it---just like I always dare them to buy the little snack packs of dried fish complete with little beady eyes at Asian markets. My son who has bugged me to buy this the most hates BOTH mayo and chrain (horseradish) and wouldn't put the stuff in his mouth but that doesn't stop him from asking me to buy it.


I did buy many, many packages of chicken bones for soup making, ( I stopped counting but it is something over ten pounds of bones), two large hunks of beef, chopped meat, hand made Shmura Matza, a giant horseradish root---but it was the smallest one there, some of the soup vegetables, lots of baking chocolate and some but not all of the stuff we need to make the holiday. Because how can one possibly get all of the Passover shopping done in just one stop?


Normally, Moishe's has meat from at least three different kashrut certifiers, (because not everyone trusts the same rabbinical authorities). This year I only saw two categories of meat, Weissmandl-glatt and organic. There may be some internal politics about meat certification in the frum community that I am not aware of.  I am satisfied with any of the meat certifications at Moishe's.


No, I didn't buy the boxed cakes because why would I want to serve month-old cakes to my guests? It seems like the holy grail of purchased cakes is a seven-layer cake. I discovered in a fit of laziness last year that it is much less fiddly to cut a jelly roll cake into stacked slabs than to fiddle with rolling it up. The cake base of a jellyroll is stupid easy to make, so there is likely a seven-layer cake on the dessert menu this year.


Because we no longer live with little kids I didn't have to buy the strangely gummy breakfast cereals that look like regular boxed cereal but are nothing like it. Unfortunately, Moishe's didn't stock the Manischewitz ground matza that they market as hot cereal. The matza is ground to a texture that is different from matza meal. It was made to be cooked like oatmeal or farina but my husband grew up just adding cold milk to it. When you add the cold milk to the matza cereal it turns into a bowl of grey concrete. My husband loves it. It is known in our household as "Pop's disgusting matza cereal" despite the fact that several members of our family are actually quite fond of the cold edible cement. If you come across a supply, let me know.


You don't have to be a clairvoyant to know that there will be lots of cleaning and lots of cooking in my life over the next many days. This year, unlike the last two years we will have several actual humans around the table.

This year I also have two tallitot and a Torah mantle to work on in the middle of all of Passover prep. I will take breaks from one kind of work to do other kinds of work.


Onward!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

מְחַיֵּה הַמֵּתִים

  וְנֶאֱמָן אַתָּה לְהַחֲיוֹת מֵתִים: בָּרוּךְ אַתָּה יְהֹוָה מְחַיֵּה הַמֵּתִים   You are faithful to restore the dead to life. Blessed are You, Adonoy, Resurrector of the dead. That particular line is recited at every single prayer service every day three times a day, unless you use a Reform or Reconstructionist prayer book . In those liturgies instead of praising God for resurrecting the dead God is praised for  giving life to all.  I am enough of a modern woman, a modern thinker, to not actually believe in the actual resurrection of the dead. I don't actually expect all of the residents of the Workmen's Circle section of  Mount Hebron cemetery in Queens to get up and get back to work at their sewing machines. I don't expect the young children buried here or  the babies buried here to one day get up and frolic. Yet, every single time I get up to lead services I say those words about the reanimating of the dead with every fiber of my being. Yesterday, I e...

Connecting with the past

A few months ago I had a craving for my father’s chicken fricassee.  If my father were still alive I would have called him up and he would have talked me through the process of making it.    My father is no longer alive so I turned to my cookbooks and the recipes I found for chicken fricassee were nothing at all like the stew of chicken necks, gizzards and wings in a watery sweet and sour tomato sauce that I enjoyed as a kid.  I assumed that the dish was an invention of my father’s. I then attempted to replicate the dish from my memory of it and failed.   A couple of weeks ago I saw an article on the internet, and I can’t remember where, that talked about Jewish fricassee  and it sounded an awful lot like the dish I was hankering after. This afternoon I went to the butcher and picked up all of the chicken elements of the dish, a couple of packages each of wings, necks and gizzards. My father never cooked directly from a cook book. He used to re...

The light themed tallit has been shipped!!!

 I had begun speaking to Sarah about making her a tallit in the middle of August. It took a few weeks to nail down the design. For Sarah it would have been ideal if the tallit were completed in time for her to wear it on Rosh HaShanah., the beginning of her year as senior rabbi of her congregation. For me, in an ideal world, given the realities of preparing for the High Holidays I would have finished this tallit in the weeks after Sukkot. So we compromised and I shipped off the tallit last night.  I would have prefered to have more time but I got the job done in time. This tallit was made to mark Sarah's rise to the position of senior rabbi but it was also a reaction to this year of darkness. She chose a selection of verses about light to be part of her tallit. 1)  אֵל נוֹרָא עֲלִילָה  God of awesome deeds ( from a yom kippur Liturgical poem) 2)  אוֹר חָדָשׁ עַל־צִיּוֹן תָּאִיר   May You shine a new light on Zion ( from the liturgy) 3)  יָאֵר יְהֹ...