Skip to main content

Some Yom Kippur thoughts

 Since my last post, I have composed at least three posts in my head but hadn't quite gotten around to committing my thoughts to virtual paper. 


Shabbat was the 20th anniversary of 9/11. Some years I listen to the memorial ceremonies on the radio with the same focus and concentration I give to the Kol Nidre. I read remembrances or will write about my own memories of that day with the same intensity I would give to the UnTaneh Tokef. This year I just couldn't. If the pandemic were something I was viewing through a rearview mirror would have had the mental wherewithal to sit and focus on that day with the bright blue skies. 




We still have a long slog of disease and death ahead of us. My emotional bank account is pretty low so I avoided thinking about that day. Another year I will have the internal resources to look back at that day.


I am getting ready for Yom Kippur.


I rolled out the noodles that will be made into ...





This year I didn't consult a written recipe but just put together the kugel based on what I had in the fridge and intuition. My husband went out to buy the dairy. He got two squares of farmer cheese and a giant tub of ricotta. I had a big log of goat cheese in the fridge. Just as the goat that was sent to Azazel stood in for our sins, the goat cheese stood in for the cream cheese I used less sugar than what my mother's recipe called for. I didn't pre-cook the noodles because the thin and rolled noodles need so little cooking.

The kugel gets topped with spices and baked. We will end our fast with food that tastes exactly like the love a mother has for a small child.


כְּרַחֵ֣ם אָ֭ב עַל־בָּנִ֑ים
  רִחַ֥ם יְ֝הֹוָ֗ה עַל־יְרֵאָֽיו׃
As a father has compassion on his children, so should God have compassion on those who fear him


At the end of Yom Kippur,  at our table, we eat the taste of forgiveness.

This has been a time of isolation. A time of experiencing the deaths of friends. A time of helping dear friends carry their losses of parents, of partners of dear friends.


We end Neila with the very same texts we recite or have recited to us as we die. When I first learned this beautiful tidbit from Tzi Blanchard I thought it was a lovely Zen way to think about that moment. You stand at the end of Yom Kippur at the end of a day of fasting and praying prepared to die---and then you don't die. 





During Covid times I hear Tvi Blanchard's words a bit differently, or perhaps exactly the same way. 


אָבִֽינוּ מַלְכֵּֽנוּ חָתְמֵֽנוּ בְּסֵֽפֶר חַיִּים טוֹבִים:
אָבִֽינוּ מַלְכֵּֽנוּ חָתְמֵֽנוּ בְּסֵֽפֶר זְכֻיּוֹת:
אָבִֽינוּ מַלְכֵּֽנוּ פְּתַח שַׁעֲרֵי שָׁמַֽיִם לִתְפִלָּתֵֽנוּ:




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

מְחַיֵּה הַמֵּתִים

  וְנֶאֱמָן אַתָּה לְהַחֲיוֹת מֵתִים: בָּרוּךְ אַתָּה יְהֹוָה מְחַיֵּה הַמֵּתִים   You are faithful to restore the dead to life. Blessed are You, Adonoy, Resurrector of the dead. That particular line is recited at every single prayer service every day three times a day, unless you use a Reform or Reconstructionist prayer book . In those liturgies instead of praising God for resurrecting the dead God is praised for  giving life to all.  I am enough of a modern woman, a modern thinker, to not actually believe in the actual resurrection of the dead. I don't actually expect all of the residents of the Workmen's Circle section of  Mount Hebron cemetery in Queens to get up and get back to work at their sewing machines. I don't expect the young children buried here or  the babies buried here to one day get up and frolic. Yet, every single time I get up to lead services I say those words about the reanimating of the dead with every fiber of my being. Yesterday, I e...

Connecting with the past

A few months ago I had a craving for my father’s chicken fricassee.  If my father were still alive I would have called him up and he would have talked me through the process of making it.    My father is no longer alive so I turned to my cookbooks and the recipes I found for chicken fricassee were nothing at all like the stew of chicken necks, gizzards and wings in a watery sweet and sour tomato sauce that I enjoyed as a kid.  I assumed that the dish was an invention of my father’s. I then attempted to replicate the dish from my memory of it and failed.   A couple of weeks ago I saw an article on the internet, and I can’t remember where, that talked about Jewish fricassee  and it sounded an awful lot like the dish I was hankering after. This afternoon I went to the butcher and picked up all of the chicken elements of the dish, a couple of packages each of wings, necks and gizzards. My father never cooked directly from a cook book. He used to re...

Food friday - your grandmother's food processor

My grandmother bought my mother this wooden bowl and a chopping knife, known in Yiddish as a hock-messer, soon after my parents got married. Yes, she also got them a dairy set as well. these wooden bowls and chopping knives were a big part of food prep when I was growing up. meatloaf and meat balls were mixed in this bowl. Chopped liver was made in this bowl as well. Sundays we often made chicken salad for lunch made out of chicken left over from Shabbat chopped with vegetables and mayo. That too, was made in this bowl. When I was in college my parents got their first food processor and the chopping bowls were not used as much. Several years ago, my father asked if i would like the bowls and the hock-messers. I was happy to have them. I like the sheer physicality of chopping up a big bowl of stuff into teeny pieces. While the wooden bowls have stood up well to the years of use, the hock-messers had not. The bladed which were bolted into their handles, wobbled. The blades wouldn't ...