Food Friday and remembering

 


Since you asked, this is what we are eating for Shabbat dinner, chicken cooked with Herbes de Provence and fresh lime. Our vegetable matter will be blanched asparagus. The L'chaim portion of our dinner is a super local chocolate-flavored whiskey which our older son bought for my husband as a birthday gift.

And I digress. My mother's yahrzeit comes in just a couple of weeks. The winter my mother died was an especially snowy one. Packed plowed snow aged at the side of the roads. As friends asked me how my mother was, I often likened her condition to that old packed snow at the side of the road. The packed snow melts from the top and from underneath. It used to be beautiful fluffy white snow but it was disintegrating from above and below and in the center. My mother's body and mind were failing in many ways all at the same time.


So now, whenever I see old snow melting away days or weeks after a storm


looking shrunken and diminished, I think about my mother during the last couple of years and especially the last few months of her life.

 

I  look at these pictures of snow and I am reminded of my mother. It is oddly comforting.


Shabbat Shalom

Comments

  1. I am glad you find comfort in the melting snow. Such a good way to make something not usually pleasant, pleasant. Can I ask the name of the chocolate whiskey? I have received an Israeli , Binyamina Chocolate Liqueur, from a friend, but would love to have another, since I don't have access to the Benyamina. I drink it very sparingly as she has died and I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The chocolate whiskey is made by Kings County Distillery. It isn't sweet like a liqueur. It was yummy mixed with seltzer and orange juice.
    Last year my son organized a tour of the distillery with the guys in the family for my husband's birthday. My daughter and I got facials. A good time was had by all.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love hearing from my readers. I moderate comments to weed out bots.It may take a little while for your comment to appear.