Skip to main content

Happy New Year???

I put that greeting in the form of a question because these days you need to keep your expectations low if you expect to have the energy to get out of bed in the mornings.

I spent last night at three different Zoom celebrations. It was both lovely and exhausting to be on Zoom from 5:30 until after 11. 


Today though is still Friday and Shabbat dinner needed to get made.


I made chicken using the same method as last week, spatchcocked chicken, coated with spices, and baked over a bed of vegetables. Last week, the flavors were French. This week the flavors are Middle Eastern.


I coated the chicken with (sesame-free) Za'atar and baked the chicken on a bed of zucchini, red pepper and one potato.




I also squeezed the juice of a lemon and one lime over the chicken. If the result is half as good as last week's chicken then we will have a delicious meal.

I experimented with our challah.



I grated pear (and added spices) over the dough before rolling it up. I assume that it will taste good however the pear was much wetter than I had anticipated and rolling up the dough and braiding it was, to be polite, a challenge.

Three of the loaves came out looking Ok and one is ugly.


They will all taste good even though I forgot to add the vanilla this week.



I want to add my newest flavor obsession



This is an Iranian herb mixture that is used usually to make an herb-filled frittata. Usually, the frittata is made with fresh herbs. The flavor combination is amazing. I had cooked last week's vegetables in it. I would have been happy to eat nothing but those vegetables for dinner. 

Today I added the herbs to the omelet I had made for lunch (along with some manchego cheese). The combination was swoon-worthy. If I had been served the combination at a fancy restaurant I would have raved...but it was just a thrown together made in a rush on a Friday afternoon lunch.  Luckily I live up the street from an Iranian owned grocery store and they had bags and bags of  Kookoo Szabi attached to vertical racks. 

Hoping that this next year is better than last year.

Shabbat Shalom!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

מְחַיֵּה הַמֵּתִים

  וְנֶאֱמָן אַתָּה לְהַחֲיוֹת מֵתִים: בָּרוּךְ אַתָּה יְהֹוָה מְחַיֵּה הַמֵּתִים   You are faithful to restore the dead to life. Blessed are You, Adonoy, Resurrector of the dead. That particular line is recited at every single prayer service every day three times a day, unless you use a Reform or Reconstructionist prayer book . In those liturgies instead of praising God for resurrecting the dead God is praised for  giving life to all.  I am enough of a modern woman, a modern thinker, to not actually believe in the actual resurrection of the dead. I don't actually expect all of the residents of the Workmen's Circle section of  Mount Hebron cemetery in Queens to get up and get back to work at their sewing machines. I don't expect the young children buried here or  the babies buried here to one day get up and frolic. Yet, every single time I get up to lead services I say those words about the reanimating of the dead with every fiber of my being. Yesterday, I e...

Connecting with the past

A few months ago I had a craving for my father’s chicken fricassee.  If my father were still alive I would have called him up and he would have talked me through the process of making it.    My father is no longer alive so I turned to my cookbooks and the recipes I found for chicken fricassee were nothing at all like the stew of chicken necks, gizzards and wings in a watery sweet and sour tomato sauce that I enjoyed as a kid.  I assumed that the dish was an invention of my father’s. I then attempted to replicate the dish from my memory of it and failed.   A couple of weeks ago I saw an article on the internet, and I can’t remember where, that talked about Jewish fricassee  and it sounded an awful lot like the dish I was hankering after. This afternoon I went to the butcher and picked up all of the chicken elements of the dish, a couple of packages each of wings, necks and gizzards. My father never cooked directly from a cook book. He used to re...

Food friday - your grandmother's food processor

My grandmother bought my mother this wooden bowl and a chopping knife, known in Yiddish as a hock-messer, soon after my parents got married. Yes, she also got them a dairy set as well. these wooden bowls and chopping knives were a big part of food prep when I was growing up. meatloaf and meat balls were mixed in this bowl. Chopped liver was made in this bowl as well. Sundays we often made chicken salad for lunch made out of chicken left over from Shabbat chopped with vegetables and mayo. That too, was made in this bowl. When I was in college my parents got their first food processor and the chopping bowls were not used as much. Several years ago, my father asked if i would like the bowls and the hock-messers. I was happy to have them. I like the sheer physicality of chopping up a big bowl of stuff into teeny pieces. While the wooden bowls have stood up well to the years of use, the hock-messers had not. The bladed which were bolted into their handles, wobbled. The blades wouldn't ...