In the last many weeks there has been a crop of babies born to people I love. I made sweaters for two of those babies.
I decided to make matching tunics and big-bottomed leggings for some of the other babies. When I was a mother to babies I loved clothes that were comfortable for the baby to wear, were easy to wash, and were delightful for me to look at.
I had found a free pattern for baby leggings that had a ton of room for diapers. I liked that the cuffs allow the leggings to fit a baby for more than fifteen minutes. All of these outfits are made of fabrics that I have used to make dresses for me. I can vouch for the pajamalike comfort of each of the fabrics.
These are the diaper friendly leggings. I made two pairs in this fabric. Here it is with a matching tunic.
The off-cuts from a dress I had made this summer turned into this.
I like that despite the ruffles this isn't too sweet.
I also went a bit more baby art gallery owner with this outfit.
As I was working away on these outfits, a baby dress I had begun ages ago fell out of the pile of stuff around my sewing machine. I had abandoned the project for reasons I no longer remember. I don't even remember who I had intended to give it to.
This dress is reversible and can be worn back to front as well. I made it out of two layers of quilting cotton.
The edging is made by folding squares of cotton diagonally over the edge of the fabric and stitching the raw edges into place. This technique was developed by the brilliant art quilter Bird Ross.
I used to use this technique a lot. It is a great way to edge things that need to be seen on both sides. It is way more exciting visually than a straight hem. I now have to decide who gets which garment. It is time to start packign al of this up.
Can you share the free pattern please? I have started to sew for grandbabies who wear reusable cloth diapers which are bigger and bulkier than the disposables. Most patterns don't have the room they need.
ReplyDeleteHappy to, it's this https://shwinandshwin.com/2015/05/free-baby-knit-pants-pattern.html. They are well drafted and really easy to sew.
ReplyDelete