I have been working away on Max's tallit. Yesterday I had reached the point where all of the little pieces of work I have been doing are starting to come together. I am recreating the look of a woven tallit by piecing fabric and embellishing with machine stitching.
As I was adding row after row of stitching I kept thinking about my friend Sally who is a really accomplished weaver. When she makes a piece she needs to make a plan and stick to it the whole way through. It takes a particular sort of brain to work like that. I admire people who can do that.
I work in an entirely different way. I have a general idea of where I want to go. I don't have every stitch of the piece figured out before I start. I leave myself open to improvising.
Even though I work entirely differently than Sally, I kept thinking about her as I worked.
I also thought about how Max's tallit imitates the look of woven pattern ut using a sewing machine to essentially draw the patterns one usually makes with a loom. I am especially pleased that I am using stitches that are usually purely functional in a decorative way.
Comments
Post a Comment
I love hearing from my readers. I moderate comments to weed out bots.It may take a little while for your comment to appear.