Skip to main content

Swimming in text

Elan and I started talking about the design for his atara several weeks after his wedding this past June. Every once in a while, we would have a bit of an emailed conversation but life got in the way and it took a several months until we got a concept nailed down.  Elan knew the verse we would be working with, right away

אִלּוּ פִינוּ מָלֵא שִׁירָה כַּיָּם
Even if our mouths could fill with song as
water fills the sea,



I had dyed the velvet to look like sky. Over the past few weeks I have been slowly embroidering all of the letters. Yesterday morning I realized that I was nearly done with that task.

It was time to start building the ocean. I had already dyed and set strips of  translucent silk gazar  that would become the ocean.

I wanted the atara to recreate the experience of swimming in a body of water. I wanted the letters to sit slightly inside the water the way a body does when swimming. I had all of the elements I needed to create the water. I knew more or less the feeling I wanted this piece to have. I wasn't exactly sure how I would achieve that.



I stitched the un-dyed layer at the top, sort of like foam on the topmost layer of water using a straight stitch. When I was most of the way stitching this first layer of silk I remembered my machine's scallop stitch which I thought looked appropriately watery.

I then added the yellow layer. I do recognize that it is crazy bright, but I knew (because I played with layering the dyed silk strips in a variety of combinations) that the colors just looked way better layered over the yellow. That crazy neon color just made everything else sing.


I had dyed the silk using very diluted dyes and let each layer of color dry before adding more color. the drying of the dyes left meandering paths of color on the silk.  I used those paths of color guide my cutting. I was using the movement of water and dye on the silk to create water..

  You can also  see that the various layers of not quite aligned silk create a watery looking moire effect similar to the play of light on water.

When I stopped working last night, I had created layers that looked frankly more like mountains than like water. It was pretty but not exactly what I wanted.



Sometimes a night's sleep is exactly what you need so you get a new perspective on a piece.

I added more layers of water that broke up the more solid geometry I had created the day before.


The water was beginning to look more watery. I kept thinking back to swimming in open water and what that experience is like visually.



I added rows of blue  stitching over the pieced water.



I love how the bottoms of the letters are just submerged in the water



as if they too are swimming and you came upon the verse bobbing in the water  during your swim.


I love swimming, but I am sometimes gripped with what my husband calls "fear of the deep".  I will often sing or think about biblical verses to get myself over that hump of fear or boredom during a long swim.  I will recite those verses over and over to get me through a difficult patch in my journey in the water.




 I am very nearly done with this stage of the project.



I am starting to think about how I will finish off the edges. This vintage ribbon may tie the atara in with the tallit.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

מְחַיֵּה הַמֵּתִים

  וְנֶאֱמָן אַתָּה לְהַחֲיוֹת מֵתִים: בָּרוּךְ אַתָּה יְהֹוָה מְחַיֵּה הַמֵּתִים   You are faithful to restore the dead to life. Blessed are You, Adonoy, Resurrector of the dead. That particular line is recited at every single prayer service every day three times a day, unless you use a Reform or Reconstructionist prayer book . In those liturgies instead of praising God for resurrecting the dead God is praised for  giving life to all.  I am enough of a modern woman, a modern thinker, to not actually believe in the actual resurrection of the dead. I don't actually expect all of the residents of the Workmen's Circle section of  Mount Hebron cemetery in Queens to get up and get back to work at their sewing machines. I don't expect the young children buried here or  the babies buried here to one day get up and frolic. Yet, every single time I get up to lead services I say those words about the reanimating of the dead with every fiber of my being. Yesterday, I e...

Connecting with the past

A few months ago I had a craving for my father’s chicken fricassee.  If my father were still alive I would have called him up and he would have talked me through the process of making it.    My father is no longer alive so I turned to my cookbooks and the recipes I found for chicken fricassee were nothing at all like the stew of chicken necks, gizzards and wings in a watery sweet and sour tomato sauce that I enjoyed as a kid.  I assumed that the dish was an invention of my father’s. I then attempted to replicate the dish from my memory of it and failed.   A couple of weeks ago I saw an article on the internet, and I can’t remember where, that talked about Jewish fricassee  and it sounded an awful lot like the dish I was hankering after. This afternoon I went to the butcher and picked up all of the chicken elements of the dish, a couple of packages each of wings, necks and gizzards. My father never cooked directly from a cook book. He used to re...

Revisiting a beloved piece

About thirty years ago I was asked to make an atara to be a gift  for Jerry.  Jerry was one of the founders of an alternative Hebrew school in our neighborhood. Jerry was also one of the people who forged an alliance between the older mostly German members of our synagogue and the young counter culture former ( and still hippies) that were the new lifeblood of our congregation nearly fifty years ago. At that point, it wasn't the easiest marriage between the old guard and the new guard but Jerry helped to break down the barriers between the suit wearing older folks and the ripped up jeans wearing younger folks. Jerry has prepared thousands of kids for their B'nai Mitzvah. He is a frequent and excellent Torah reader and for many years he organized Morning Minyan. Jerry had often said that his favorite biblical text is the following: (יא) כִּ֚י הַמִּצְוָ֣ה הַזֹּ֔את אֲשֶׁ֛ר אָנֹכִ֥י מְצַוְּךָ֖ הַיּ֑וֹם לֹֽא־נִפְלֵ֥את הִוא֙ מִמְּךָ֔ וְלֹ֥א רְחֹקָ֖ה הִֽוא׃ (יב) לֹ֥א בַשָּׁמַ֖יִם הִ֑...