Autumn in New York

Today we had brunch with  beloved cousins from out of town and after we walked them to the Met we walked home through Central Park.

This dedication is on the  post next to the gate of the playground just north of the museum. You just have to love the direct language.




The gates themselves are quite charming.







As I walked I thought about my friend Rachely. She spent a few years living in Boston when we were kids. As wonderful as Israel is, it does not provide the sort of colorful autumn that is part of life in New England. She misses the fall colors.

I took these photos for her.








Sometimes I feel like my eyeballs just need the stimulation of fall color, almost as much as I need to feel the sun on my skin during the summer. 











As I walked west past the park towards home, I passed this small apartment building. It was built in the 1930's not as a grand building but as a middle class one. This is one of a handful of similar buildings in the neighborhood.  I was charmed by how the metalwork on the doors echos the round motif on the doorway.


The canopy hides the pretty art-deco light fixture embedded in the doorway.


I have passed this building hundreds of times but never took the time to actually look at it.  I peeked into the front doors and saw the beautiful inner wood and glass doors. 


Look at that beautiful bent wood, repeating the metal design from the outer doors. It's such a warm welcome to the residents. 




I continued walking the few blocks towards home.










There was more fall foliage to share with Rachely, including this carpet of bright yellow ginkgo leaves.



As I got within view of Amsterdam Avenue I noticed a flock of birds perched along the top of a building.










I then turned the corner to my block.




Comments

  1. God bless you, my dear. Especially for your gentle thoughtfulness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved having finding things to photograph for you. It helped turn my walk into a better adventure.

      Delete
  2. Oh Sarah, Thank you Thank you for the pics of the leaves. Having grown up in Northern NJ (My Dad worked on 7th Ave way back when) and living in NE PA my married life,(49 years) we are now living in the Low Country of SC. I miss the leaves in the fall the most. Your pics have given me much joy.
    I loved the art deco of the building. I hope the apartments have retained many of the original wood work etc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Sarah, Thank you, Thank you for the pics of the leaves. Having grown up in Northern NJ, and lived my married in NE PA (49 years) after relocating to the Low Country of SC, I have come to realize I miss the wonderful colors of the fall. Your pics have given me much joy.

    I love the art deco on the building. I hope that the apartments have retained much of the art deco wood work etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never been inside either this particular building or it's look a likes. The brick work on the rest of the building is utilitarian looking. I assume it was built as middle class/working class housing. If I ever get a chance to go into an apartment in one of these buildings I will do my best to get photos.

      As for fall colors. I think that once you have grown up with it, it is almost a physical need to experience it each year.

      Delete

Post a Comment

I love hearing from my readers. I moderate comments to weed out bots.It may take a little while for your comment to appear.