Skip to main content

Making the heavens

 Over the past several days I finished dyeing the cotton for the brit milah pillow. I had wanted the text to be in the cosmos and the cosmos populated with a few heavenly bodies.

This is my sketch for the project ( in case you don't commit every word I type to your long term memory). 


One of the things I have learned with years of experience doing this sort of work is how to plan how to attack the various tasks needed to complete the job and in what order.

I cut the fabric to pillowcase  size and pressed it to be sure that it is colorfast. I then sketched out a moon, a couple of stars and a something that is either a planet or the sun onto a white linen men's handkerchief.
I have a bag full of beautiful ones in my stash and I thought that the finely woven white linen would be perfect for the job.

After I sketched out the shapes and the text to go inside I went over my pencil line in gold paint and then floated color inside of the gold lines.
Then I traced those shapes onto tracing paper cut them out and basted them to the dyed cotton. Then I was ready to begin painting the baby blessing text onto the cotton.



The blessing text is now completed.
Then I began finishing off the celestial elements. I backed the moon with another men's hankie, hemmed both together, and then hand embroidered craters on the moon.


While I was working on the brit milah pillow I took breaks by starting work on a tallit that is due in a couple of weeks. ( I just got the comission yesterday(!) I cut out the base silk and stitched the edges so the silk would not unravel.  I then embroidered a few miles of ribbon,


really it was only 240 inches of ribbon.

Earlier today I shipped off these buttons.



My sewing buddy Charlotte makes doll clothing. These teeny buttons came to me from the Mother of Pearl, or perhaps her father. Pearl's mother lived to be over 100. She was a serious sewer and knitter and I have been inheriting bits of her sewing treasures. Pearl's father had owned a children's wear notions supply store. I suspect that these buttons came from Pearl's father despite what the card might read. These buttons were all machined to look like this. While you might find plastic molded buttons this size, the precision of the work on these buttons is kind of astonishing. I hadn't noticed until I took the photo that the flat buttons all have fluted edges.

I am sure that Charlotte's dolls will all appreciate these fine quality buttons.

The trip to the post office had me appreciating the small sights of the neighborhood.

I am loving shadows


I also love the trees that cause the shadows.


This synagogue is on the same block as the post office. 

 The interior is as ornate as the exterior.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

מְחַיֵּה הַמֵּתִים

  וְנֶאֱמָן אַתָּה לְהַחֲיוֹת מֵתִים: בָּרוּךְ אַתָּה יְהֹוָה מְחַיֵּה הַמֵּתִים   You are faithful to restore the dead to life. Blessed are You, Adonoy, Resurrector of the dead. That particular line is recited at every single prayer service every day three times a day, unless you use a Reform or Reconstructionist prayer book . In those liturgies instead of praising God for resurrecting the dead God is praised for  giving life to all.  I am enough of a modern woman, a modern thinker, to not actually believe in the actual resurrection of the dead. I don't actually expect all of the residents of the Workmen's Circle section of  Mount Hebron cemetery in Queens to get up and get back to work at their sewing machines. I don't expect the young children buried here or  the babies buried here to one day get up and frolic. Yet, every single time I get up to lead services I say those words about the reanimating of the dead with every fiber of my being. Yesterday, I e...

Connecting with the past

A few months ago I had a craving for my father’s chicken fricassee.  If my father were still alive I would have called him up and he would have talked me through the process of making it.    My father is no longer alive so I turned to my cookbooks and the recipes I found for chicken fricassee were nothing at all like the stew of chicken necks, gizzards and wings in a watery sweet and sour tomato sauce that I enjoyed as a kid.  I assumed that the dish was an invention of my father’s. I then attempted to replicate the dish from my memory of it and failed.   A couple of weeks ago I saw an article on the internet, and I can’t remember where, that talked about Jewish fricassee  and it sounded an awful lot like the dish I was hankering after. This afternoon I went to the butcher and picked up all of the chicken elements of the dish, a couple of packages each of wings, necks and gizzards. My father never cooked directly from a cook book. He used to re...

The light themed tallit has been shipped!!!

 I had begun speaking to Sarah about making her a tallit in the middle of August. It took a few weeks to nail down the design. For Sarah it would have been ideal if the tallit were completed in time for her to wear it on Rosh HaShanah., the beginning of her year as senior rabbi of her congregation. For me, in an ideal world, given the realities of preparing for the High Holidays I would have finished this tallit in the weeks after Sukkot. So we compromised and I shipped off the tallit last night.  I would have prefered to have more time but I got the job done in time. This tallit was made to mark Sarah's rise to the position of senior rabbi but it was also a reaction to this year of darkness. She chose a selection of verses about light to be part of her tallit. 1)  אֵל נוֹרָא עֲלִילָה  God of awesome deeds ( from a yom kippur Liturgical poem) 2)  אוֹר חָדָשׁ עַל־צִיּוֹן תָּאִיר   May You shine a new light on Zion ( from the liturgy) 3)  יָאֵר יְהֹ...