My father, David Jacobs,would often come home from a mundane errand or a swim at the Y with a story of a delightful encounter with a complete stranger. That brief encounter usually included a tidbit of a fascinating life story.
This morning I had a David Jacobs moment.
The brains of our desktop computer are on the fritz. We made an appointment to see the Geek Squad folks at 62nd Street. My husband loaded the computer onto a luggage cart. We decided to take the subway because there are elevators in the subway stations at both ends of our trip.
My husband carefully moved the luggage cart loaded with our computer onto the elevator we were soon joined by a man pushing a large stack of stuff loaded onto a dolly with A steel drum head strapped to the bottom of the stack.
I commented something about how great it is that the subway now has elevators. My fellow elevator passenger replied that the subway is why he lives in Manhattan. He told us that he was a street musician who had been playing steel drums on the street since 1994. Yes, he was aware of our son and his performing in Union Square.
He mentioned that he had started street performing in Boston where he had grown up. I asked where, he was from Dorchester. I told him that I was from Quincy.
He told me that he had also lived for a time in Quincy because his father had served as a minister at one of the churches in Quincy.
Our friend was taking the express train and the local pulled into the station. Had the trains been delayed we would have had a longer chat.
My husband and I got on the local train.
This morning I had a David Jacobs moment.
The brains of our desktop computer are on the fritz. We made an appointment to see the Geek Squad folks at 62nd Street. My husband loaded the computer onto a luggage cart. We decided to take the subway because there are elevators in the subway stations at both ends of our trip.
My husband carefully moved the luggage cart loaded with our computer onto the elevator we were soon joined by a man pushing a large stack of stuff loaded onto a dolly with A steel drum head strapped to the bottom of the stack.
I commented something about how great it is that the subway now has elevators. My fellow elevator passenger replied that the subway is why he lives in Manhattan. He told us that he was a street musician who had been playing steel drums on the street since 1994. Yes, he was aware of our son and his performing in Union Square.
He mentioned that he had started street performing in Boston where he had grown up. I asked where, he was from Dorchester. I told him that I was from Quincy.
He told me that he had also lived for a time in Quincy because his father had served as a minister at one of the churches in Quincy.
Our friend was taking the express train and the local pulled into the station. Had the trains been delayed we would have had a longer chat.
My husband and I got on the local train.

Love it! Small town chat in the Big City.
ReplyDeleteI always contend that New York City is really a series of villages masquerading as a city.
ReplyDelete