We got home late last night. We had checked our bags.
Because I learned well from my mother, I looped each pair of zippers on my suitcase together with bright ribbon.
I do this for two reasons. the first is to help identify my black wheeled duffle from the ocean of black wheeled duffles on the baggage claim belt.
The second reason I do this is I had noticed on some other trips that during handling the zippers sometimes come open.
Yesterday we shuffled a bunch of luggage between my suitcase and my husband's. I actually paid attention to the looping together of each and every pair of zippers on my suitcase.
Yesterday I noticed as my suitcase emerged off the baggage claim belt that one of the side compartments was open and empty. I would have chalked that up to perhaps the ribbon had gotten loose, not that likely but vaguely possible.
I did notice that the main compartment of my suitcase was secured not with the ribbon, but with
a zip tie which I had to cut to open my suitcase and start to unpack all of my stuff.
This morning I found this note in my suitcase, from the TSA
I realize that that empty side compartment was not an accident but my bag had been pilfered by employees of the TSA.
What was taken? Actually not all that much; a couple of hot/cold patches for my bum shoulder, a couple of sheet face masks, a birthday gift from my daughter, and a piece of costume jewelry. The value of the contents of that suitcase compartment was less than $30. But I feel really violated.
I went to the TSA site to file a complaint. I filled out the fairly long form. I clicked the submit button and was given an automated message that I do not have permission to submit the form. The TSA also suggested that you send them a Facebook message- they promise that they respond to complaints within the hour. Hmmmm-no. So I am posting this here.
I am not going into the long speech in my head about social contract but I am sure you can imagine some of the major talking points of that impassioned speech.
So if you see a TSA employee in Ft Lauderdale with pretty skin, a shoulder that does not ache and a really attractive but flashy floral necklace, please let me know.
Because I learned well from my mother, I looped each pair of zippers on my suitcase together with bright ribbon.
I do this for two reasons. the first is to help identify my black wheeled duffle from the ocean of black wheeled duffles on the baggage claim belt.
The second reason I do this is I had noticed on some other trips that during handling the zippers sometimes come open.
Yesterday we shuffled a bunch of luggage between my suitcase and my husband's. I actually paid attention to the looping together of each and every pair of zippers on my suitcase.
Yesterday I noticed as my suitcase emerged off the baggage claim belt that one of the side compartments was open and empty. I would have chalked that up to perhaps the ribbon had gotten loose, not that likely but vaguely possible.
I did notice that the main compartment of my suitcase was secured not with the ribbon, but with
a zip tie which I had to cut to open my suitcase and start to unpack all of my stuff.
This morning I found this note in my suitcase, from the TSA
I realize that that empty side compartment was not an accident but my bag had been pilfered by employees of the TSA.
What was taken? Actually not all that much; a couple of hot/cold patches for my bum shoulder, a couple of sheet face masks, a birthday gift from my daughter, and a piece of costume jewelry. The value of the contents of that suitcase compartment was less than $30. But I feel really violated.
I went to the TSA site to file a complaint. I filled out the fairly long form. I clicked the submit button and was given an automated message that I do not have permission to submit the form. The TSA also suggested that you send them a Facebook message- they promise that they respond to complaints within the hour. Hmmmm-no. So I am posting this here.
I am not going into the long speech in my head about social contract but I am sure you can imagine some of the major talking points of that impassioned speech.
So if you see a TSA employee in Ft Lauderdale with pretty skin, a shoulder that does not ache and a really attractive but flashy floral necklace, please let me know.



Comments
Post a Comment
I love hearing from my readers. I moderate comments to weed out bots.It may take a little while for your comment to appear.