An Event- full weekend

This was a weekend jam-packed with events. Our youngest graduated from college.

Why, yes, he is wearing a Pac-man suit and a gold lame shirt.  You can't see the gold shoes he is wearing. he taped a manilla envelope filled with resumes to his mortarboard and handed them out during graduation. If you are looking for someone to do post-production sound design then our boy is your man.

As the recessional of Elgar's Pomp and Circumstance played my husband and I sang about how we are now done paying college tuition.

Sunday was both my birthday and Mothers Day. I have great sympathy for people born around Chanukah or Christmas. I also share my birthday with my son in law.

When we arrived home after the graduation, this beautiful bouquet was waiting for me from my sister-in-law and brother in law.
I woke up and my older son presented me with this.
It was my 57th birthday. Before my father turned fifty-seven seven he used to riff about how it was his Heinz birthday. My father, when he stumbled on a riff he liked used to play with it, often. Phone calls would be peppered with mentions of his upcoming Heinz birthday. That riff was part of the table conversation, for months.

My sister decided to write the PR department of Heinz and tell them of her father's love of Heniz products, his love of his pickle pin from the 1939 World's Fair and the upcoming Heinz Birthday.

After reading this post my sister reminded me that she got in touch with the folks at Heinz because my father had lost his beloved 1939 World's fair pickle pin. my sister was hoping that her call would produce another pin. Although the 1939 pickle pin was not replaced the nice folks in the PR department at Heinz helped to create a memorable day for us.
The lovely people at Heinz responded with a large package of Heinz swag as well as coupons for Heinz products.  My mother, sister, and cousin then put together a Heinz themed birthday dinner for my father.  The whole concept was so silly it merited my coming in from New York for the great event.

I remember hot-dogs and baked beans on the menu. I also remember my mother ceremoniously carrying in a tray filled with Heinz condiments.

There was a whole lot of Heinz swag.
The occupant of the highchair is now a partner in a law firm and is now the father of a beautiful baby.

My father's boater is decorated with the Hebrew letters that add up to 57. he is cutting up the cake, baked in the shape of a Heinz label.

I loved that my son chose to remember this great moment of silliness.

In the afternoon my husband and I went to the theatre.


If you can get tickets to this production you should go.

After the play, we took the subway uptown to the Yeshiva University campus.



One of our favorite restaurants is there. 

There are people who choose restaurants for their ambiance. Golan Heights looks like it started life as a pizzeria in 1978. They probably haven't redecorated since. They serve excellent Israeli street food. Our daughter and son in law met us there and we all ate out happy fill of schwarma and kofta. I believe this is the third Mothers Day dinner we have enjoyed there. Altogether, a really happy weekend.

Comments

  1. Happy birthday Sarah! Turns out we share the same birthday ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday! Lovely memories. Thanks for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love hearing from my readers. I moderate comments to weed out bots.It may take a little while for your comment to appear.