The time has come to start another batch of challah covers. I started yesterday and
continued working today.
Three of them have Most of this liturgical poem calligraphed onto them. the poem was written as an introduction to one of the Shabbat morning prayers but has migrated and is often sung as an after Shabbat dinner table song.
Here is one setting of the poem. it's lovely, but not the melody was thinking of as I carefully painted each word.
The chorus of the poem, my soul thirsts for the living God is a quote from Psalms. Each verse is packed with references to Biblical quotes that rhyme internally. Everly verse ends with the word chai, lives.
This another lovely setting, but also not the one I was singing as I painted.
The meaning of the text is a little obscure as well. I like how the way I painted the text feels like the experience of singing the poem.
I also have another thought I want to share with you about my reading of the magazine The American Hebrew. There were people who were named over and over again issue after issue. One of them was Louis Marshall. The Jewish Theological Seminary has a big annual dinner named for him. I noticed in reading TheAmerican Hebrew that he seemed to be a busy man. He was involved with what seemed like an awful lot of good work. I looked him up and was blown away. Louis Marshall fought for immigrant rights, was a chairman of the NAACP, was one of the founders of JTS and fought for the environment.That man was a hero.
continued working today.
Three of them have Most of this liturgical poem calligraphed onto them. the poem was written as an introduction to one of the Shabbat morning prayers but has migrated and is often sung as an after Shabbat dinner table song.
Here is one setting of the poem. it's lovely, but not the melody was thinking of as I carefully painted each word.
The chorus of the poem, my soul thirsts for the living God is a quote from Psalms. Each verse is packed with references to Biblical quotes that rhyme internally. Everly verse ends with the word chai, lives.
This another lovely setting, but also not the one I was singing as I painted.
The text shimmers on the silk. It isn't visible at every angle or in every light.
The meaning of the text is a little obscure as well. I like how the way I painted the text feels like the experience of singing the poem.
I also have another thought I want to share with you about my reading of the magazine The American Hebrew. There were people who were named over and over again issue after issue. One of them was Louis Marshall. The Jewish Theological Seminary has a big annual dinner named for him. I noticed in reading TheAmerican Hebrew that he seemed to be a busy man. He was involved with what seemed like an awful lot of good work. I looked him up and was blown away. Louis Marshall fought for immigrant rights, was a chairman of the NAACP, was one of the founders of JTS and fought for the environment.That man was a hero.
Comments
Post a Comment
I love hearing from my readers. I moderate comments to weed out bots.It may take a little while for your comment to appear.