Skip to main content

Food Friday

This is my soup before.

SAM_3794

It’s a mess of frozen chicken bones, a giant onion, some fat parsnips, you can some some but not all of the tired carrots hiding underneath the parsnips.

 

I also added whole spices.

SAM_3795

I decided to pretend to be fancy and tied them up into some cheesecloth. My husband hates getting a whole kernel of spice in his soup spoon.

 

The French probably have a really elegant way to do this. I just rolled the spiced up in the cheese cloth and tied a big knot.

SAM_3797

I also added a glug of vinegar to the soup. I do this for two reasons. One is for flavor. I don’t tolerate salt very well. The vinegar gives the soup an appealing bright flavor that salt normally does. The second reason is to dissolve the bones so all of the calcium will,be in liquid form. I filled the crockpot up with water and set it to cook. 

 

Right now the soup is in the fridge after turning a deep brown. I will skim off the fat and re heat it for Shabbat dinner.

This week’s beautiful Challot were made by my son. Credit also has to go to the Americans with Disabilities Act, my son’s Occupational therapists and all of you tax payers to helped to pay for his OT.

SAM_3798

My father who probably could have used an OT to help with some of his fine motor skills, was a great challah baker who was unable to braid challot. His challot were five 1/4 lb lumps of dough set into a bread pan. Delicious…but  not as beautiful as a nice braided challah.

 

Thanks for paying your taxes. Nicely braided challot are not the only advantages we are reaping from wonderful Special Ed services but they are a nice reminder about the good work that government can do.

 

My son has been hankering for indian flavored food. he asked me to make the meatballs “ Vaguely Indian”.

SAM_3799

There is lots of turmeric and cumin in the meatballs along with what was left from the amba jar.

I am also very close to done with the twins tallitot. I am just showing snippet shots today.

SAM_3800

This tallit still need pinot/corner pieces and eyelets.

 

This tallit is complete ( except for thread snipping)

SAM_3802

Even the eyelets are done.

 

SAM_3801

 

Shabbat Shalom to all.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

מְחַיֵּה הַמֵּתִים

  וְנֶאֱמָן אַתָּה לְהַחֲיוֹת מֵתִים: בָּרוּךְ אַתָּה יְהֹוָה מְחַיֵּה הַמֵּתִים   You are faithful to restore the dead to life. Blessed are You, Adonoy, Resurrector of the dead. That particular line is recited at every single prayer service every day three times a day, unless you use a Reform or Reconstructionist prayer book . In those liturgies instead of praising God for resurrecting the dead God is praised for  giving life to all.  I am enough of a modern woman, a modern thinker, to not actually believe in the actual resurrection of the dead. I don't actually expect all of the residents of the Workmen's Circle section of  Mount Hebron cemetery in Queens to get up and get back to work at their sewing machines. I don't expect the young children buried here or  the babies buried here to one day get up and frolic. Yet, every single time I get up to lead services I say those words about the reanimating of the dead with every fiber of my being. Yesterday, I e...

Connecting with the past

A few months ago I had a craving for my father’s chicken fricassee.  If my father were still alive I would have called him up and he would have talked me through the process of making it.    My father is no longer alive so I turned to my cookbooks and the recipes I found for chicken fricassee were nothing at all like the stew of chicken necks, gizzards and wings in a watery sweet and sour tomato sauce that I enjoyed as a kid.  I assumed that the dish was an invention of my father’s. I then attempted to replicate the dish from my memory of it and failed.   A couple of weeks ago I saw an article on the internet, and I can’t remember where, that talked about Jewish fricassee  and it sounded an awful lot like the dish I was hankering after. This afternoon I went to the butcher and picked up all of the chicken elements of the dish, a couple of packages each of wings, necks and gizzards. My father never cooked directly from a cook book. He used to re...

Food friday - your grandmother's food processor

My grandmother bought my mother this wooden bowl and a chopping knife, known in Yiddish as a hock-messer, soon after my parents got married. Yes, she also got them a dairy set as well. these wooden bowls and chopping knives were a big part of food prep when I was growing up. meatloaf and meat balls were mixed in this bowl. Chopped liver was made in this bowl as well. Sundays we often made chicken salad for lunch made out of chicken left over from Shabbat chopped with vegetables and mayo. That too, was made in this bowl. When I was in college my parents got their first food processor and the chopping bowls were not used as much. Several years ago, my father asked if i would like the bowls and the hock-messers. I was happy to have them. I like the sheer physicality of chopping up a big bowl of stuff into teeny pieces. While the wooden bowls have stood up well to the years of use, the hock-messers had not. The bladed which were bolted into their handles, wobbled. The blades wouldn't ...