Skip to main content

Evolution

Now that I have finished  the twins tallitot, as attested by this finished corner piece, it is now time to get back to Yoni’s tallit.

SAM_3805

Yoni’s tallit is a little complicated. It is expressing several ideas from his haftarah.

 

There are striped representing rocks. I already completed those.

yoni

 

Now I needed to make two leafy stripes. First I dampened the silk. Then I began laying down layers of color.  I let this first pass of color dry over night.SAM_3807

I ironed the painted leaves to set the color and then set down more color.

SAM_3808

It’s getting there, but clearly it isn’t quite enough.

SAM_3809

Yoni wanted a dark forest green.  I needed to add more color.

SAM_3810

I also realized that the strips would be vastly improved if I floated a layer of lighter color between the leaves.

 

I used the now colored water from this painting effort to paint the background. Every once in a while I would add a bit more paint to the water.

SAM_3811

As I filled in the background with the light green I heard the voice of my mean Kindergarten teacher in my head. Miss Kendall was full of very strict advice as we drew or painted.

 

I remember her scolding me for using the water from my “dirty water” while I was water coloring.

SAM_3812

While I do hear the voice of Miss Kendall scolding me in my head. I also know that every bit of art advice she gave me was wrong. So while I hear her voice, I no longer listen to her.

SAM_3813

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

מְחַיֵּה הַמֵּתִים

  וְנֶאֱמָן אַתָּה לְהַחֲיוֹת מֵתִים: בָּרוּךְ אַתָּה יְהֹוָה מְחַיֵּה הַמֵּתִים   You are faithful to restore the dead to life. Blessed are You, Adonoy, Resurrector of the dead. That particular line is recited at every single prayer service every day three times a day, unless you use a Reform or Reconstructionist prayer book . In those liturgies instead of praising God for resurrecting the dead God is praised for  giving life to all.  I am enough of a modern woman, a modern thinker, to not actually believe in the actual resurrection of the dead. I don't actually expect all of the residents of the Workmen's Circle section of  Mount Hebron cemetery in Queens to get up and get back to work at their sewing machines. I don't expect the young children buried here or  the babies buried here to one day get up and frolic. Yet, every single time I get up to lead services I say those words about the reanimating of the dead with every fiber of my being. Yesterday, I e...

Connecting with the past

A few months ago I had a craving for my father’s chicken fricassee.  If my father were still alive I would have called him up and he would have talked me through the process of making it.    My father is no longer alive so I turned to my cookbooks and the recipes I found for chicken fricassee were nothing at all like the stew of chicken necks, gizzards and wings in a watery sweet and sour tomato sauce that I enjoyed as a kid.  I assumed that the dish was an invention of my father’s. I then attempted to replicate the dish from my memory of it and failed.   A couple of weeks ago I saw an article on the internet, and I can’t remember where, that talked about Jewish fricassee  and it sounded an awful lot like the dish I was hankering after. This afternoon I went to the butcher and picked up all of the chicken elements of the dish, a couple of packages each of wings, necks and gizzards. My father never cooked directly from a cook book. He used to re...

Food friday - your grandmother's food processor

My grandmother bought my mother this wooden bowl and a chopping knife, known in Yiddish as a hock-messer, soon after my parents got married. Yes, she also got them a dairy set as well. these wooden bowls and chopping knives were a big part of food prep when I was growing up. meatloaf and meat balls were mixed in this bowl. Chopped liver was made in this bowl as well. Sundays we often made chicken salad for lunch made out of chicken left over from Shabbat chopped with vegetables and mayo. That too, was made in this bowl. When I was in college my parents got their first food processor and the chopping bowls were not used as much. Several years ago, my father asked if i would like the bowls and the hock-messers. I was happy to have them. I like the sheer physicality of chopping up a big bowl of stuff into teeny pieces. While the wooden bowls have stood up well to the years of use, the hock-messers had not. The bladed which were bolted into their handles, wobbled. The blades wouldn't ...