Skip to main content

Ready to Ship

100_1300
Dingles
One of the nice things about working at home, as opposed to working in a self contained studio is that there is a constant parade of people wandering in and out of my apartment , who will offer feedback on my work.  Sometimes they will catch a typo (always appreciated) Other times, a passing comment may have me re- think a problem I am having with a piece. Clients will often see work in progress and it will often inform their own choices in their own commissions.

100_1308
Challa cover, ready to be packaged
I had thought that this challa cover was done. My husband took a close look and asked,
“ No dingles???” Dingles are what we call the beaded tassels I often add to the corners of my challa covers. I don’t like disappointing my husband, so I added the dingles. Each corner is slightly different. The dingles add a certain extra measure of delight to an already lively challa cover.
Just in case the photos, and the painted silk and the embroidered binding were not enough to delight the eye.

I will package up the challa cover and send it out this afternoon. I hope that both my client, and the recipient are happy.

More photos of the entire process in the album on the right.

Comments

  1. Your husband was right. Yes on the dingles. I can't believe I just wrote the word "dingles".

    Again, such nice work. I admire your creativity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. AnnB- My cousin used to call Israeli coins 'dingles" because they had so little value, that all they did was dingle in your pocket.



    I have used the beaded dingles to give pieces a bot more weight, so they feel a bit more substancial.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love hearing from my readers. I moderate comments to weed out bots.It may take a little while for your comment to appear.

Popular posts from this blog

מְחַיֵּה הַמֵּתִים

  וְנֶאֱמָן אַתָּה לְהַחֲיוֹת מֵתִים: בָּרוּךְ אַתָּה יְהֹוָה מְחַיֵּה הַמֵּתִים   You are faithful to restore the dead to life. Blessed are You, Adonoy, Resurrector of the dead. That particular line is recited at every single prayer service every day three times a day, unless you use a Reform or Reconstructionist prayer book . In those liturgies instead of praising God for resurrecting the dead God is praised for  giving life to all.  I am enough of a modern woman, a modern thinker, to not actually believe in the actual resurrection of the dead. I don't actually expect all of the residents of the Workmen's Circle section of  Mount Hebron cemetery in Queens to get up and get back to work at their sewing machines. I don't expect the young children buried here or  the babies buried here to one day get up and frolic. Yet, every single time I get up to lead services I say those words about the reanimating of the dead with every fiber of my being. Yesterday, I e...

Connecting with the past

A few months ago I had a craving for my father’s chicken fricassee.  If my father were still alive I would have called him up and he would have talked me through the process of making it.    My father is no longer alive so I turned to my cookbooks and the recipes I found for chicken fricassee were nothing at all like the stew of chicken necks, gizzards and wings in a watery sweet and sour tomato sauce that I enjoyed as a kid.  I assumed that the dish was an invention of my father’s. I then attempted to replicate the dish from my memory of it and failed.   A couple of weeks ago I saw an article on the internet, and I can’t remember where, that talked about Jewish fricassee  and it sounded an awful lot like the dish I was hankering after. This afternoon I went to the butcher and picked up all of the chicken elements of the dish, a couple of packages each of wings, necks and gizzards. My father never cooked directly from a cook book. He used to re...

Food friday - your grandmother's food processor

My grandmother bought my mother this wooden bowl and a chopping knife, known in Yiddish as a hock-messer, soon after my parents got married. Yes, she also got them a dairy set as well. these wooden bowls and chopping knives were a big part of food prep when I was growing up. meatloaf and meat balls were mixed in this bowl. Chopped liver was made in this bowl as well. Sundays we often made chicken salad for lunch made out of chicken left over from Shabbat chopped with vegetables and mayo. That too, was made in this bowl. When I was in college my parents got their first food processor and the chopping bowls were not used as much. Several years ago, my father asked if i would like the bowls and the hock-messers. I was happy to have them. I like the sheer physicality of chopping up a big bowl of stuff into teeny pieces. While the wooden bowls have stood up well to the years of use, the hock-messers had not. The bladed which were bolted into their handles, wobbled. The blades wouldn't ...