Finally going to a museum

 I have been looking forward to seeing The Sonia Delaunay show at the Bard Graduate Center for quite a while.



Both her fashion and 


and her art

Have a cool girl "in the know" sort of a vibe. I have admired her clothes for a long time.


It was a baby quilt that Sonia had made for her child that got her thinking about color and art. 

(Interestingly, I got my own start in this universe of textiles making baby quilts)

Sonia's next textile adventure was making this ensemble. Here in a photo taken soon after she made it.


Photos of the actual garment are below.







I suspect, because of a description of her work on a vest elsewhere in the show that she covered an existing garment with this wonderful patchwork of fabrics. 




This is the vest. She apparently made lots of these and they were worn by both men and women and were constructed over a base of a simple workman's vest.


There were lots of sketches of her garments.






Some of it was meant for street wear and other garments were made as costumes.











Sonia designed fabrics and branched out to furniture design as well. She printed the fabric and hand painted the table to match.






She designed the upholstery fabric and the chair below.




I think that time may have faded the  beauty of the inlaid wood on this buffet that she designed for her own home. If you look closely you can see that it mimics the fabric on the upholstered chair.




This mosaic table top is pretty great.




Sonia did hand embroidery 


She also designed playing cards.







I loved how this dress abstracted the female shape below.


I entered the exhibit excited. I loved many of the objects exhibited, but oddly the longer I spent in the exhibit the more oppressed I felt by Delaunay's obsessive vision.  I think that the turning point for me were the photos of the rooms that she had designed. Those rooms seemed so deeply unpleasant. I'm not exactly sure what it is about those rooms that set me so on on edge. But I ended up having to leave the exhibit much sooner than I anticipated. 

Comments

  1. I went to an exhibit of her work in Paris years ago. It was more fabric oriented as I recall, I think you would have liked that one much better.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love hearing from my readers. I moderate comments to weed out bots.It may take a little while for your comment to appear.