Typing quickly before Shavuot

 I woke up this morning at 8:00am. My first thought was "Only twelve hours until dinner!!"



Last night I had set up two noodle doughs so I could make two---(Ugh! I need a name for what this dish is!)


Let me describe it. It is blintz filling


What you see here is cottage cheese, farmer cheese, goat cheese and sour cream. The eggs and flavorings are yet to be added.

layered between layers of thin homemade noodle dough.

This is my noodle dough rolled really thin, so thin that you can read the words on my silicone mate through the dough.

I learned a trick from Samin Nosrat.



You roll noodle dough using a really thin rolling pin and roll the dough around the rolling pins,spreading your hands as you roll out the dough. I can't imagine that a hand cranked pasta machine is any quicker. Rolling the dough around the rolling pin (of course the dough is well floured) is just so much easier on your body.

I crumbled up some Biscoff cookies and put them in the bottom of the pan 


and drizzled some melted butter on top. This is so the bottom noodle doesn't stick to the bottom of the pan.


I hadn't planned on it but  added some of the crushed cookies to each of the cheese layers.


I guess I was inspired by the cookie crumble stuff that is between the layers of a Carvel cake.




Here it is baked. The noodles are as thin as blintz crepes. I have an old Jewish community cookbook that calls such a dish ( but made with a soft fluffy batte), a Blintz souffle. Mostly when you hear the term blintz souffle  what people are talking about is packages of store bought frozen blintzes topped with a custard made out of sour cream eggs and sugar.  Some people have suggest a blintz lasagna. I think that there is probably a traditional old world name for this dish. I don't think that I created an innovation but sort of fell into an old world food that used to be made.


I made two of these, one is for a lunch at out synagogue tomorrow. One is for our dinner tonight. I put both in our fridge and cut tonight's up into serving sized pieces before warming up.


 If you have any brilliant ideas about what to call this dish, let me know.


This is the berry sauce to go with the blintz adjacent dish.

 I am leaving out the part about the sauce overflowing the pot and half of my stove stained deep purple. I cleaned it up. My stove is no longer purple. There was DRAMA, but I'm not discussing it here.


I also made a side of salmon with tamarind sauce.  Sorry no photo. The jam is really tart and should pair well with the salmon.


I also made a taboule salad, heavy on the parsley and mint and light on the bulgur wheat.I first had such a taboule in Dubai. It was a revelation.





Last year on Shavuot we decided to serve frum and Israeli packaged goods on the first night of the holiday.  It's sort of the punch line of a couple of very old not very funny bilingual jokes---but organizing this meal around those punchlines is enough to get my kids around the table.






My  kids are bringing more packaged goodies.

I still have to tidy the dining room, set the table and make a green salad. Only thirty five minutes until dinner.


My six year old great niece drew these portraits of us. 


You can see how close she got.




Chag sameach!















Comments