More adventures

the shutters that blew out of the utility room windows and nearly hit Sam. The rest are in the utility room. 

 It's 7:40 on Monday morning

We have officially been up since 5. The reality is none of the three of us got much sleep last night. The bombing was heavy last night. We are also anxious because we are being evacuated today.


At first we thought that we would have to leave the building and run to a central location. I was worried (terrified) about having to be outside unprotected running with our luggage. We also found out that the amount of luggage we can take is very limited.I left a large suitcase filled with stuff behind. It's just stuff.

Because of the fire on Saturday morning on the first floor from rocket fire we won't be using the elevator. We will run down the five flights of stairs as soon as our transportation is nearby. 

Our transportation arrives at 9. Meanwhile we sit in the safe room and wait.


There are different sounds that we have been hearing. The reassuring sound of Israeli war planes. The sound of distant explosions and the sounds of explosions in varying degrees of close. There is one sound that scares the pants off of me it is a kind of rumbling whoosh that is a little bit like the feel of the jets ins hot tub... but it is a sonic sensation that is really disturbing. If I were Israeli I would probably know what all of the sounds mean.

The window next to Sam's bed. 


I am incredibly relieved that we are being evacuated. As relieved as I am I also am thinking about the children of so many dear to us who are being called up to the army. We have been hearing about the beloved of friends who have been killed

We have the luxury of being evacuated. They are staying to protect our land and country.


I am worried about our drive to the airport. I hope that our van won't be struck by a missle.I am worried about where we are being sent. I'm writing to calm myself. I'm not sharing this until we are safe. Time is crawling here in the safe room. 


The safe room has the fan going and the light is on. It is nevertheless too warm and a little rank from the fear and sweat of three adults. If we were Israeli we would be able to sort out which sounds mean actual danger and which not. My Israeli friends will pop in an out of the safe room as needed We don't know enough so basically have been in the safe room constantly since Saturday morning at 6:30. When we feel a bit safer we crack the door open

 The Internet works a whole lot better though the open door. We also get a bit more fresh air.


Now it is an hour until we get picked up. 




Because we aren't Israeli we didn't know to shut the trisim the protective shutters when rocket fire is imminent. Because we aren't Israeli we aren't good at parsing the meaning of the various sounds that we are hearing. 

glass balcony panel


It's 9:45 our driver is in Ashkelon but hasn't arrived yet. I realize that I am a spoiled American who has only had to endure this for a couple of days. These have been two difficult days but our Israeli family and friends live with the constant fear all the time.


We left for the airport in a caravan of three vans. The drive to the airport was uneventful. Like many things in Israel, some aspects of this evacuation were a little bit disorganized. We were allowed to get off the vans but they weren't ready for us to enter the airport. Some of us were standing in the sun. Others retreated to the shade under the overhang near the entrance. A siren went off. We all ran to the entrance of the airport. I guess that the normal protocol is to lock the airport doors when a rocket siren goes off. there were about fifty or a hundred of us laying on the floor in front of the glass doors. After a few minutes we heard the explosion.. It was loud and close. עם


My husband and Sam were several yards away from me. I was close to the locked doors. Some people screamed. Some people cried. Me? I recited the last lines of Psalm 121 over and over. Maybe it worked because none of us were harmed. A man near me kept trying to force the glass doors open.. I was afraid that his efforts would break the doors and we would all be covered in glass shards.


After a bit the airport security staff rushed us into a reinforced area of the airport. When the crisis passed the handed out bottles of water.

So now we wait with my son's coworkers. We get on our flight later this afternoon

Well... while we were on the ticketing line someone panicked and thought that there was another rocket attack. Everyone on line ran for safety.  Well, everyone is on edge and lots of people were in hysterics. Eventually the no nonsense security staff got everything organized.


We woke up at 5:00am after a terrible night's sleep. We just ate our first meal of the day at 4;00pm.


Do where are we going,? Dubai. When will we get home? We have no idea. 

Comments

  1. We are praying for your safe return.❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it is nice to be in this plush halfway house of a giant hotel suite... but we are so looking forward to being home

      Delete
  2. Thinking of you non stop. Sending love and prayers for your safety and for safety and peace in Israel. Really appreciate your sharing of what you are experiencing. Sending so much love to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love and prayers, Cathie, Robert, and Gabriel!

    ReplyDelete
  4. stay safe! thinking of you

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad you're on your way. Kobi and Ella and I are following your story carefully. 🩵❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are now in luxury limbo in the very weird Dubai. Sam's company is working on getting us flights back to the States. Our moments. in the horror are over but for the people we love in Israel there is so much more to the story.

      Delete
  6. I have been worrying about you all weekend. One doesn't actually have to know someone to feel for them. Something we all need to remember.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are fortunate to have been evacuated. But the war continues in Israel.Ashkelon was hard I can't imagine how difficult it had been for the kibbutzim and towns near the Gaza border.

      Delete
  7. We’ll see you soon back at home - down the hall. Travel safe. Let me know if we can do anything for you before you get home ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lorraine... we are fine a little shell shocked but fine.

      Delete
  8. I have been worried about Sam, not knowing you two were visiting. Safe travel to you and prayers for peace. Ann_B

    ReplyDelete
  9. I cannot imagine such a happy time turning so horrific. So glad you are safe; the group from our church was on the last plane to leave Saturday morning, after spending time in the shelter before boarding. Praying for those who are left, and those who are preparing for battle, and those who are leading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad that your friends got home safe. I'm so sad that Hamas doesn't love their people enough to use their resources to build shelters and schools for their citizens.

      Delete
  10. Sarah, thank you for sharing this. It’s raw and honest and open. What can I say beyond repeating you and Sam and David are on my mind every day. I find great comfort in Psalms and I’m glad they can bring ease to your spirit. Praying for all of you and Israel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Lord will keep you from all harm—
      he will watch over your life;
      8 the Lord will watch over your coming and going
      both now and forevermore.

      We used to sing this in Hebrew at the beginning and end of any trip
      On 9/11 as I rushed to pick up my kids I recited these verses in a constant loop. Monday laying on the ground during the rocket attack it kept me focused and calm.

      Delete
  11. I am terrified just reading your story. Hard to focus on anything given the horror being visited on Israel. Looking forward to hugging all of you when you’re back. -Alix

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love hearing from my readers. I moderate comments to weed out bots.It may take a little while for your comment to appear.