Dubai

 When my husband and I travel we are drawn less and less to the sorts of places where a selfie with a particular view seems to be mandatory. We get cranky at places that seem to be manufactured for Instagram.We are far more likely to be drawn to places like the Ashkelon Central bus station with the crumbling stucco and the ticket agent offering b'rachot for the holiday and blessings for a good life filled with Mazal Tov to the old bent Ethiopian man ahead of us in line. 

Dubai seems to be invented for selfies. The Ferris Wheel is lit up but doesn't move. 



The job of the Ferris Wheel is to appear in photos.







There is another structure also designed for the same purpose.




We are near the beach. There are shops on the street level where there are restaurants like The Cheesecake Factory and Chili's along with Indian and Georgian restaurants.. There are kiosks that sell ice cream and beach  chazzerei next to kiosks that sell apartments in newly built apartment buildings. 


There is an elevated walkway with shops and a massive number of day care centers, indoor mini golf, beauty salons, pharmacies and bodegas. This level everything is designed to look


vaguely like an old Arab city. A hair salon is in a domed building. Bathrooms and prayer rooms seem to be present in equal numbers .






In half an hour we are going on a boat ride to see the sites. 

Last night before we went to sleep my husband and I expressed regret that we hadn't bought shawarma at the stand in the Ashkelon bus station. We both assumed that it would have been delicious. Perhaps next time. 



We are in Dubai but are hearts are in Ashkelon.


Tomorrow morning we fly back to New York. We should be home lateish tomorrow night. I really want to thank all of you who gave us so much love, strength and support during this time. All of love helped us get through the hardest of it. 


It's time to help the people who remain in Israel and to protect all that we love. 

Comments

  1. So true. We need to help those left there. My heart breaks for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank God you are home and safe. Take your time to reintegrate. I don't need to tell you that you've been through a serious, serious trauma.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not home yet... tomorrow night God willing back on 98th St.

      Delete
  3. Safe travels!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you will be home.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So relieved to know you are all safe. Ann

    ReplyDelete
  6. So good to have an update, and the good news about your upcoming flight. I will update our prayer group. Prayers are continuing for you and yours, dear Sarah, and for the nation Israel, His people. You are continually in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just checked the date of your post again, and I realize you may be home already, as today is the 13th, and you wrote on the 11th. (I didn't think you would be traveling on the Sabbath.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are home Charlotte. Thank you so much for your good wishes ad your prayers.

      Delete
    2. Praise God!! The people in our church are so very thankful!!

      Delete
    3. As are we Charlotte. Hoping and praying for my relatives, my friends and their children... and praying for the hostages.

      Delete
    4. Hello Sarah,
      I'm glad you made it safely back home to NY.
      You don't know me, but I saw a post of yours that you sent on October 1st from Ashkelon on one of .io groups, and I worried about you, because it was your last post there. First I posted there, but since you didn't comment, I was looking for you on the net - and am sure you are the same person.
      Some adventure you had during Sukkot...
      I am Israeli and still in Israel.

      Shalom al Israel

      Delete
    5. Someone must have reposted my post onto the .io group---which is why I didn't respond---because I'm not part of that group. Yup it is me. I hope that you are doing OK.

      I haven't been posting since I got home for a few reasons. I don't want to insert myself into the story/experience of the war since I am no longer there. It is time for other voices to be heard. I am slowly acclimating to being back in New York and not under rocket fire and I will start posting again abut my life and my work here. I thought that it made sense to have a bit of a הפסקה in the posts. Thanks for being in touch and truly hoping for שלום ושלווה.

      Delete
    6. If you could possibly send me the link to the . io group post I would be really grateful. Thanks!

      Delete

Post a Comment

I love hearing from my readers. I moderate comments to weed out bots.It may take a little while for your comment to appear.