לְ֭מַעַן אַחַ֣י וְרֵעָ֑י אֲדַבְּרָה־נָּ֖א שָׁל֣וֹם בָּֽךְ׃

An ad for a Dubai real estate app
 that we saw projected everywhere. The Hebrew and Arabic words for home are cognates
 
This Shoshana Demari song about coming home to Israel 

We and our Sam, landed at Kennedy airport last night. We were met after we exited US Customs by our son and daughter. Yes, there were both hugs and tears. Our daughter had made, and carried nearly the entire length of the A subway line a batch of Temi Saivetz's Cholesterol death kugel. We have used that kugel as an expression of love and caring in our family  for decades. We weren't hungry enough to eat that kugel in the taxi but we did eat some once we got home. If you have broken the fast of Yom Kippur at my house you have eaten some of this kugel. My cousin Bonnie made me this kugel right after I gave birth to my oldest because my mother was still in Boston and Bonnie thought that I would need to have my mother's presence in the hospital just post partum. My kids have requested this kugel after a long time away or for comfort during a difficult time.  What all five of us needed was a bit of love and comfort.


Tonight we sit at the Shabbat table together, our dinner a gift from our community. So many people have been reaching out to us and we are grateful to each and every expression of love, sympathy and concern.  We are home but the difficulties continue in Israel---and in Gaza.


A friend has just posted this list of  names of the hostages taken by Hamas.

This list does not include the ages of the hostages. A number of these names belong to babies and children.  I hope that at least some of these people are still alive and that as many as possible are returned home alive to their families.

Some of you may be interested in reading  this post by Barry Leff about the current situation.  If in most of the world there are six degrees of connection between any two people, in much of the Jewish world there are only two degrees of separation. I believe that I have met Rabbi Leff at some point but he is closely  connected to several people from various corners of my world.

Tomorrow my husband and I will be called to the Torah.After our Aliya we will will recite

בָּרוּךְ אַתָּה ה’ אֱלֹהֵינוּ מֶלֶךְ הָעוֹלָם הַגּוֹמֵל לְחַיָּבִים טוֹבוֹת שֶׁגְּמָלַנִי כָּל טוֹב
Blessed are You, Lord our God, ruler of the world, who rewards the undeserving with goodness, and who has rewarded me with goodness.

and our community will reply

מִי שֶׁגְמַלְךָ כֹּל טוֹב הוּא יִגְמַלְךָ כֹּל טוֹב סֶלָה
May he who rewarded you with all goodness reward you with all goodness for ever.


This call and response blessing is often recited after childbirth or after returning from a journey, especially to Israel. I have never felt the need to recite this before. Childbirth is usually no longer that risky an endeavor. Trips and even trips to Israel are usually mostly just a long time sitting on a plane and not filled with the difficulties of a pre modern voyage.

I love that this is a formula that can only be recited within a community. You can't recite this blessing on your own.  We got through our time under fire in Sam's safe room alive through the good works of the Israeli Army who protected us, because of Israeli laws that made the inclusion of shelters rooms mandatory in every apartment built after 1993, and through the generosity and kindness of W&W Steel Construction  (our son's employer) who takes the task of taking care of all of their employees seriously and got all of us evacuated to safety and back to our own homes. The Divine often works through human hands. 

We lived through two and a half days of shelling. We are pretty jangled and fragile. I think that I am OK,  and then I realize that I am talking too much and too fast or tears are just so close to the surface. This particular war isn't over even though my husband my son and I have been returned home safe. I hope that whatever the latest death toll is, is the last of it  because even just this number is too much I pray for the safety of the many people that I love in Israel both relatives and dear friends. I pray for the people that I don't know in Gaza and hope that their leaders start to care about their population.



Last week when we took the bus to Jerusalem I noticed these verses from psalm 122 inscribed over the stairwell of the central bus station.
And with that, Shabbat Shalom.

Comments

  1. Shabbat shalom to three Jewish heroes: David, Sarah snd Sam. May you enjoy your first Shabbat home After a harrowing experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ברוכים הבאים חברים. שבת שלום ומבורך.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Happy to be sleeping in our own beds.

      Delete
  3. This brought me to tears. You’ve all been through trauma. Please do everything you need to do to ease the pain.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful you are home, all 3 of you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So great you are all home. Prayers continue for the entire situation, Israel and Gaza, and for the hostages! Rest well. Love, Cathie, Robert, and Gabriel!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad to hear you are safe and at home. I know the experience isn't over; you will likely relive it over and over as the news continues. The above comment is spot on. Be gentle with yourselves. Praying for the peace of Jerusalem and the peace of David, Sarah and Sam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lisa. When I wake up at night I am entirely confused about where I am. Mostly I think that I am still in Dubai. We are all a bit fragile and a bit discombobulated.

      Delete
  7. Sarah - Thank you for sharing your story - it is wonderful that your family were evacuated. Some of our acquaintances here are still waiting for their children to arrive. I have been praying nonstop since the first attack. This is "too close to home" for my family - although we are not Jewish, my husband's Catholic family survived the Nazis in the mountains of Slovenia during WWll - his cousin was born whilst they were hiding in a cave there. The shrine his great-aunt erected after the soldiers inexplicably walked away from a confrontation without killing all of them stands to this day.
    Praying for peace in this world.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  8. It had been a few days since I last checked your blog and finally saw this post. Again, we are so very grateful you are all home safe and sound. It was our church's privilege to pray for the three of you, and we do continue to pray for Israel, always. Do be gentle with yourselves, and keep in mind that PTSD is a possibility at some point, and that there is treatment available if needed. (Sometimes it can happen months or even years later...) Take care, dear Sarah. 💖

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Charlotte. For the moment I seem to be OK. I feel like I need more quiet than I usually do and this was a busy busy weekend. I learned from a PTSD therapist and neighbor that some of what I have been doing both consciously and unconsciously ( moving my location in my dreams from the safe room in Ashkelon to the luxury of our Dubai Hotel) is exactly what PTSD therapist suggest that their patients do. Exercise has been important for grounding me and releasing some anxiety. There have been times when I have taken a break from the news. Being home among people who love us has been a balm. Thanks for bein on our team .

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love hearing from my readers. I moderate comments to weed out bots.It may take a little while for your comment to appear.