The last NYC post for a few weeks

 Perhaps it is because of a bit of Old Worldness my mother had, but as we get ready to leave this evening to visit our son in Israel my husband and I are also doing some "in case the plane crashes and we die" prep.



We have let our daughter know where the essential papers are. No, I am not sharing that information with you. I also did a wander around the neighborhood thinking perhaps this is my last look at the familiar.


The autumn roses have begun blooming in Spare Change Plaza ( the plaza in front of the 96th Street subway station).


The pigeons are busy, as they always are, in front of what had been the public bathrooms but is now a community art exhibition space.




The building on the north east corner of Broadway





and 96th street that in 1900 housed a drugstore, and until recently a Citibank and a florist is in the process of being torn down. It may be gone by the time we get home.



I stopped by the thrift store just to fill my eyes with new things. The store stock was just refilled .


And now a small digression. 


At some point in the early 1970s the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston hosted an exabit called Treasures of the Hermitage. This exhibit took place during the height of the demonstrations to free Soviet Jewry. Many of our Sunday afternoons were taken up with attending demonstrations and rallies to do our best to help convince the government of the USSR to allow Jews who wished to to emigrate.


Anyway, our whole family went to picket and chant in front of the museum.



At some point my parents sat down on the low stone wall in front of the museum. They were joined by the then director of the museum, I believe that it was Perry Rathbone dressed in a blue blazer and grey trousers. He began chatting with my parents and said, "I get why these people are protesting the Russians, but most of the stuff in the exhibit....If I won it at Revere Beach I wouldn't take it home". For those of you not from Boston, Revere beach is one of Boston's answers to Coney Island. It was smaller than Coney Island but exactly as tacky


This wonderful line was quoted often in my home. The if you won it at Revere Beach standard was something employed as you looked in stores that sold fine gift wear, or bric-a-brac or even art.


So with that in mind, this was yesterday's crop of  if I won it at Revere Beach, I wouldn't take it home from our local thrift.



A stack of American historical  plates by Wedgewood.



My parents were fond of Wedgewood but this would have been a bridge too far, even for them.



Hummel figurines. You couldn't pay me to take this home. Nor would I take home this teapot.




 I could see that it would be possible to make this tea set work but I would have to change my life to do that.


 This china figurine is the ultimate piece of  If I won it at Revere Beach, I wouldn't take it home.




I felt very sentimental when I found this hand woven top and skirt . You can't see the skirt but it is on the same hanger.



Had I been at a craft show with my mother she would have admired this set and possibly would have offered to buy it for me.  It is lovely but not something I would ever wear.


If you are in need of stripper boots there are three pairs currently available for purchase.


 This next pair is actually made out of beautiful leather.




Lastly, there is a slightly more sedate pair of stripper boots.



I think I finished packing there is still some householdy stuff to take care of before we leave the house. I hope that I can write some posts  while we are away...but until then--- Play nice!








Comments

  1. נסיעה טובה וחג שמח!!!!🌿🍋

    ReplyDelete
  2. Safe travels my friend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bon Voyage! There is a group from our church who just arrived for a tour of Israel ; if we hadn't married off both sons in the past 8 weeks we very likely would have been with them. Even then, chances of a meetup would have been microscopic but it's still kinda fun to think, oh, if we had been able to go maybe I could have met Sarah.... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have a safe and great trip. Cathie and Robert!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much. Our flight was fine. We are however crazy jet lagged.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love hearing from my readers. I moderate comments to weed out bots.It may take a little while for your comment to appear.