Food Friday

I am benefitting from the insane amounts I had cooked for Passover. We have guests tonight and  most of dinner has been plucked from the freezer. Since you asked i pulled out a gallon bag of shoulder roast and two containers of soup.


Our guests are bringing the vegetable matter segment of our meal. During my weekly call with our son in Israel we discussed a couple of different dessert options, a seven layer cake or non-dairy ice cream. My son ( my longtime cooking partner)  suggested that the ice cream might be easier. He was right HOWEVER I hadn't brought up just how much room the giant bag of almond flour was taking up in my freezer.

Based on trying to free up freezer space I made a batch of almond cookies.


Here they are before baking. I used less almond flour than last time because I was hoping for chewier cookies.



However I got distracted and the cookies are slightly overbaked and are crispy. We will all live. The cookies are flavored with lots of grated blood orange peel and vanilla.


The almond cookies left me with two egg yolks. I could have made a batch of biscotti with the egg yolks, but instead I made a small batch of  black pepper studded noodles to garnish the soup.

 
If these were on a restaurant menu they would be described as hand cut as if that were something extra fancy. The noodles are quickly cut with a big knife rocking back and forth over the sheet of noodles. This is probably the quickest and least fussy way to shape noodles



Here they are after being boiled.


I melted and then brought to a boil two containers of soup


and then added the noodles to the soup.


I used the little bit of chicken fat that had risen to the top of the soup containers as the fat in our rice. Yes, you are spotting some cardamom pods in the pan.


Our challah is from the batch that I had over baked last week.



Last week we ate the two that looked the most like charcoal. They were, however, delicious. 


The tree pits in the neighborhood are in their late tulip-bloom blowzy glory.







It was Yom HaAtzmaut this week so my head as been filled with old timey music.



Perhaps I am naïve but the hopes expressed in this song are I think truly the hopes for the state of israel.



For anyone who was alive before 1967...


all of the longing is in that song.


This week's musical round up ends with the Amharic version of Shalom Aleichem.


Hoping for a week of peace.


Comments

  1. Peace would be good. I am coming for dinner (only kidding!!)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love hearing from my readers. I moderate comments to weed out bots.It may take a little while for your comment to appear.