Now Complete!

 When I had last posted about E's tallit it was edged with 


this beautiful striped silk shantung. I had done a technically impeccable job, even the join looked really pretty.  It was beautiful, but alas entirely wrong. The red pulled focus from the rest of the tallit. The binding was too thick and stiff.


I ended up unpicking the whole pretty binding---that is pretty but not right for this project, and instead bound the edges of the tallit with  the vintage ribbon you see in the photo above.


You can see the ribbon in place but not yet pressed.




I sewed on the corner pieces and the atara. I needed to make the eyelets for the corner pieces.



 I used my trusty cuticle scissors to make a pilot hole for the eyelet.






I then stitched about ten or so stitches from the outside of the hole into the center going counter clockwise. Then I stitched buttonhole stitches going clockwise over the initial set of straight stitches..



I used four different thread colors to stitch the eyelet, a blue-green, a grey, a purple and a midnight blue.





My husband was kind enough to model the tallit
































I really like this tallit. I'm not all that happy with my photos---the tallit looks much better in person.








Comments

  1. Stop it, it’s beautiful and the pictures are as well. Love the colors and the details

    ReplyDelete
  2. My problem isn't with my work--- my problem is how my camera is reading the colors and how difficult it was to color correct so the colors read as they are. The base of the tallit is a periwinkle blue. The camera reads it as a reddish lavender---the color of a red wine stain. If I correct that color, the stripes read as overly intensely blue. I could either get the stripes to read correctly or the tallit to read correctly... THAT was frustrating.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love hearing from my readers. I moderate comments to weed out bots.It may take a little while for your comment to appear.