Three topics, one post

 Yesterday, when I started my workout the sky looked like this...




Cue up the eerie music! 






I just love the light pouring through the cornice of the white brick building a block away. (My building was designed by the same architects a few years later)


By the time I was done, it looked like an entirely different day, like the background for an entirely different movie.







On a completely different topic----



I stopped by Housingworks, one of the local thrifts today and there is a selection of  traditional Chassidish coats and jackets for sale.



These were all custom made by Fino. The names of the clients were typed onto the labels sewn into the front pockets. 



 
The quality of the materials and the workmanship were impeccable.



Some of these garments were made of satiny fabrics--perhaps silk and others were made out of superfine wool


I discovered poking about the Fino website that some of these garments are Beketches and others are called Reklech. Beketches and Reklach explains the difference. If you are in need of such garments I suspect that the $45 Housingworks is charging is a steal. I did try one on and it was far too big.


And now, a third topic. 


Yesterday I jammed my finger. The first joint of my middle finger of my left hand got increasingly sore during the day and was a bit swollen and bruised. After checking Dr. Google it was pretty clear that my finger was jammed and not broken. My husband MacGuyvered a splint out of half of an emery board and surgical tape. It almost worked.


I went to CVS and bought a great invention...a finger splint.



This is a brilliant piece of medical engineering. My bruised joint is comfortably supported. The foam and the Velcro compress my finger just enough to prevent further swelling. The Velcro means that I can remove the splint when I do messy work like kneading a loaf of bread or wash dishes.




This is the loaf of bread that is now in the oven.




Comments

  1. So sorry about your finger. Coming into NYC tomorrow to visit with 2 high school friends, leaving Sunday at 3 via Amtrak. Next time I’m in I will let you know and hopefully we can get together or at least say hi in person. Love your posts, please keep sharing your stories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to a real life visit... one with no death involved.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love hearing from my readers. I moderate comments to weed out bots.It may take a little while for your comment to appear.