A fabulous online resource

 Like most of you, my Facebook feed comes with a fair amount of clickbait garbage. The other day though, a link to this index of 500 Judaica objects showed up in my feed.



This is a most excellent rabbit hole to search.


You will have to forgive me the website locks the images so I will simply post the links. This pierced metal tallit bag from Fez looks remarkably like an evening bag. You can click through (using the arrow icons) to the two other tallit bags. 

This bag is similar- here you see more of a connection to fancy decorative bookbinding



.This set of arba-kanfot is remarkably similar to the arba kanfot

that Tanta Marcia'sgrandmother crocheted for her intended as an engagement gift.   I designed a tallit bag around the arba kanfot. The bag wears the arba kanfot.


I am actually intrigued by the low-cut set shown by the Rothschild collection. It actually may be a more useful shape for women wearing arba kanfot.



Flip through the collection of tallitot. I never would have expected a man's tallit to be made with lace. But then again in the 17th century, lace was a perfectly manly textile. I was also especially excited to see tallit #3 an all-black Yemenite tallit (Perhaps the black tallitot I have made over the years aren't as un-traditional as I had thought).


One of my favorite new-to -me objects is this yahrzeit candle cover by Avi Biran. Avi is one of the best, and smartestr designers of  Judaica working today. 

Like many of his pieces, it may take a minute to actually SEE what is going on.


http://www.avi-biran.co.il/Gallery.htm Visit Avi's webpage. 


Jewish practice is to tear our garments when we hear of the death of a close family member.  I love the quiet power of the ripped collar o the decorative collar for the memorial candle. 


I have been a giant fan of  Avi's work for many years. I had the good fortune to be placed at the table next to him at a craft show. Much to my delight, he is a nice, nice guy. If I ever win the lottery i will buy some of his work.

I am so happy that the link to judaicaindex.org was such a useful rabbit hole (much better than learning the sordid details of  the life of a 1970s TV star)





Comments