A quiet shabbat

 This Shabbat is something of a placeholder. Sunday is my mother's Yahrzeit.


Next Shabbat will be one of multiple celebrations, that of a visit by our older son and the birthday of our younger son.


So a simple meal is in order this week.

Once again, I made red chicken, chicken covered in red spices.


For those of you who can't decode the mix of powders, it is a mix of smoked paprika, hot paprika, cayenne pepper, sumac, and black pepper.  this particular spice mixture always reminds my husband of the rotisserie chicken his mother used to pick up at a local kosher store in Queens. After a while, my mother-in-law stopped cooking chicken and served only the rotisserie chicken. For my husband chicken spiced this way sparks all of the warm fuzzy feelings, other people (like me) have for home-cooked foods of their childhood.







I will be blanching a head of broccoli and our carb will be provided by the stuffed challot I pulled out of the freezer.

I have also been adding another layer of feathers on Benny's tallit.




The biggest event of my week was picking up my new hearing aids yesterday. I am still adjusting to them ( I am not sure that the sound of my hear moving on my neck isn't supposed to be THAT loud.)



But a bit of adjustment both of the hearing aids themselves and of my brain to this new normal will mean that I will do less smiling and nodding and more actually understanding what people are saying to me.


Hoping for a Shabbat of peace...


To the people of Kherson




and Dnipro


and
Lutsk




and
Kyiv

and 



Ivano-Frankivsk

Clearly, these are just buildings and just Jewish buildings. It is just too hard to take in and make sense of all of the killed and all of the traumatized and displaced . So these photos of buildings will just have to do.

Shabbat shalom!





Comments