I WENT SOMEPLACE!!!!!!

 My husband has subscribed to the Wall Street Journal since the early 1980s. It is the paper that is on our kitchen table as you are reading this.


For years though we have joked that articles about new trends (often in the weekend section of the paper) often appear after it has been something we have been doing for a long time. An article about how smoked paprika is the latest thing in the world of food appears after I have already been slathering our Shabbat chicken with it for months.


My son had been wearing checkerboard everything (from underpants to jeans to shoes to jackets) since high school an article showed up after he had graduated from college and had been wearing checked everything for nearly a decade about how chich checked clothes were for men.


This week's Off Duty section led with The Glory of Used Furniture. A friend once described her beautiful apartment as decorated in "Early Dead Relative".  You can probably count on one hand the pieces of furniture in our apartment that were purchased new.  Our furniture comes mostly from dead relatives, charity shops, apartment sales in our building. It is nice to know that once again we are ahead of the trend.



Today my husband showed me this:


My husband thought that the image looked oddly similar to



Benjy's Torah mantle.


Today I read this article. I had thought that once again I was ahead of the curve- because I went to see this exhibit with my friend Hannah yesterday. But I was just reading the article two days late.


The show on 90s fashion is in the big basement exhibition space.

You can visit the exhibit virtually Because I am old enough to have worn knock offs of the garments exhibited,


lusted after some of the other garments
or even worn the garments that inspired these designers

I feel like everyone I know wore some variant of this in college
going through that exhibit was just a blast.

And while I don't own  these Moschino jackets- I do own equally( but differently) amusing Moschino jackets of a similar vintage and identical shape,








I don't remember this Calvin Klein dress but I may play with the idea of shirring in the future.







If I had found this dress at Daffy's I would have bought it.




Check out the beautiful seaming.


We also went to the exhibition space upstairs  where we saw Head to Toe which was essentially about accessories. How delightful!









I love this buttoned waistband detail.



Hannah lusted after these rubber rain pumps, rain shoes with actual style.

I loved this evening cape. In these Covid days even imagining an occasion to wear this cape seems nearly impossible.


The floral sunglasses are from the 1930's.




Across 27th street the administrative building had a student exhibit that seemed to have the theme of 
" Cool Obsessive Stuff I Did During the Pandemic".


One woman did a series about her shoes.

.



 She has a nice collection of cowboy boots.










There were a few vaguely African-looking dresses filled with the kind of obsessive details one can only do when on lockdown.





All of the yarn was stitched down on top of the plaid.




Across the room, there were several pieces done in obsessive crochet.

this piece was called PPE


I hadn't been to the Museum at FIT since before Covid hit. I was so happy to be back.


Earlier today my sister sent me a link to I Still Refuse to Call a Milkshake a Frappe. It is one of the funniest things I have read in a long time. Please be sure to read all of the 531 comments. 

The article mentions the relative unfriendliness of New Englanders. During the summer of 1980, I worked at CampYoung Judaea in Wimberly Texas.  Houston-born Anne was the counselor in the bunk next door to mine, Each morning, she would call out to me " Morning Honey! Morning Doll!". Each morning I glowered at Ann. I thought she was making fun of me.  I was an idiot from New England where people don't say such things.





Comments

  1. Thoroughly enjoyed reading this blog. All so true, especially the smoked paprika! So glad you finally got to go somewhere. The FIT museum is definitely always a place to visit. Hope you are doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy you enjoy reading the blog Helen! We are doing OK--although recovering from Covid---even though neither one of us was actually THAT sick has been a long slog.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love hearing from my readers. I moderate comments to weed out bots.It may take a little while for your comment to appear.