The Snowy Shabbat

 


Like the rest of the Northeast, I woke up to the perfect first snow of the year.  It's cold enough for the snow to stay for a little bit and not just melt as soon as it hits the ground.


Snow days are always a source of joy, an unexpected vacation day. But every time it snows I remember 


the Sunday mornings when I was teaching Hebrew school and got the call that school was canceled because of snow. I don't think that I yelled as much and danced around the house as much when I used to listen for the radio announcer mangle the name of my school when I was a kid, Mamamodis, Manades, Mamandies. School was out and I got to go back to bed.


I am feeling less ill but my husband sounds like an old dusty mummy speaking after being unwrapped. He is awaiting the probably positive result of his Covid test. Our son across town is also awaiting the results of his Covid test.

I started a slow cooker soup yesterday. My husband and I ate some last night and will have more of it tonight.



We are eating chicken that  

I coated with

smoked paprika and cayenne pepper. I added some bottled lemon juice to the pan because we are out of fresh lemons. My husband won't notice the taste difference between fresh and bottled lemon juice. I will but won't say anything.

We will make a salad closer to dinnertime.

After one week of store challah, I knew I couldn't do another, so I baked.


The stuffed challot take up much less room in the freezer than the traditional ones. I divided up a normal-sized batch into eight rather than four challot. The filling is a mix of date paste, cocoa, pomegranate molasses, and rosewater. (and a first for me, I didn't add too much rosewater so the filling doesn't taste like fancy soap.)

Yes, two of the challot are slightly over baked and the other six are slightly underbaked. 



Tough noogies! This isn't the week to complain about imperfect challot.  As soon as I am done typing this I will go lie down for a nap.


Shabbat Shalom!



Comments