Food Friday

 

It's another red chicken week. You too can have what I call red chicken if you mix sumac, smoked paprika, and cayenne in a bowl add some black pepper and rub it all over a chicken as if the chicken were a pampered lady in a spa.


I also squeezed lemon over the chicken. And now a word about kitchen tools and utensils. In the late 19th and early 20th century, silverware manufacturers invented lots of serving implements with only one use, like olive forks, cheese knives asparagus tongs and marrow spoons. Among those specialized implements are tomato servers, a pierced not quite circle attached to a handle. It was used to serve slices of tomato and leave the juice behind.


For some reason, I own three. I rarely use mine to serve tomatoes. Often they are used to serving chicken. The other week I discovered that my tomato server has another excellent use.


My tomato is now my favorite way to strain lemon pips when I am squeezing fresh lemons as I did for today's chicken.


And now the finished product...




This photo is proof that I actually put on shoes and left the house on Wednesday. 

I hadn't been outside in three weeks.


During the first few months of the pandemic, the number of friends who lost their parents was quite overwhelming. Sirens were going ALL the time up and down Broadway. The past few weeks have been filled with deaths. This week I heard about the deaths of two people who are very dear to me. I am not quite  ready to write more about my friends right now but my heart is filled with thoughts of them.


Shabbat shalom!





Comments