Food Friday

 The season seems to call for slightly sweet and mellow tasting food.


I cooked a meal that flavorwise is adjacent to Pumpkin Spice but is instead a vaguely Middle Eastern cousin to that flavor profile.


My daughter had given me a bunch of goodies from her favorite gourmet market as a birthday gift. Included in that wonderful gift was a bottle of fig vinegar. I cooked this week's chicken thighs in the fig vinegar and cut up what was left of a bag of dried figs. 



I see looking at this photo that I also added some ras-al hanout and black pepper.


The result is this.


I can't tell you what it actually tastes like. I didn't sneak a taste. It does smell wonderful though.



A beautiful soup is cooking away in the slow cooker. It is made out of chicken wings and lots of root vegetables.

It does look a little like the stuff that gets left in the trap of a commercial dishwasher. By the time we sit down to eat the soup it will be delicious although it may only be slightly prettier.

While our dinner is warming in the oven, these peppers and tomatoes will gently wilt in their olive oil and cider vinegar dressing.

This is one of my favorite things to eat. gentle heat transforms the ordinary into something really special. I may be the only person at the table who thinks so, but so be it.


Shabbat Shalom!


Comments