Shabbat B'reishit and the Parashat B'reishit tallit

 This Shabbat, congregations all over the world are starting the annual Torah reading cycle by reading the beginning of the book of Genesis, it is Shabbat B'reishit. I have been thinking about this Torah reading all summer. Ezra met with me before he left for a summer in camp so I could work with him on designing and making his tallit for his bar-mitzvah which is taking place tomorrow.


On paper, the idea was simple. The tallit would be made up of seven stripes, one for each day of creation. The reality though was far more complicated. 



Each stripe was a puzzle. Each puzzle had a completely different solution


On this side of the tallit, you see the days of the week from the first to the third day of the week as you move up from the hem.

On the reverse of the tallit, day five is at the top working down to Shabbat.

When the tallit is worn, Ezra will flip up the sides of the tallit.










To give you a little sense of how complicated putting this tallit together. Here are some of the techniques that I used in putting this tallit together.
  • Calligraphy on fabric
  • fabric painting 
  • fabric dyeing
  • stenciling (using stencils I cut myself)
  • applique
  • free motion embroidery
  • machine embroidery
  • hand embroidery



The first day of creation (pieced) and Shabbat ( calligraphy on fabric)were the simplest to do.


The fifth day with the fish scales and the feathers took ages to do. Those embroidered fish scales took an age to embroider. The feathers ( machine embroidery and hand painting ) also took longer than I had expected because each color had to completely dry before adding the next to keep the colors clear and to keep the feathers looking--feathery.

The fourth day of creation with the 'lights of the sky"  was a mix of hand painting and 

free-motion embroidery and applique for the sun. you see it here in an earlier messier stage




Day six --the creation of animals and people was probably the most difficult to figure out. I now know much more about animal footprints than I ever expected to know. I dyed the herringbone silk and then painted all of the footprints.




The ones that look like coffee beans are cow prints.











Day three of creation the sprouting of grasses and trees and the organization of water into rivers was done using hand painting and machine embroidery. I used my sewing machine as if it were a paintbrush 

All of the blades of grass were painted with a fine brush on dry silk and then I added more grasses by machine to look as if they were dimensional.  For the water, I painted wet on wet and then after the color had set embroidered over the watery water.


Below day three is day 2, the separation of the waters.


It was made with a mix of hand painting, machine stitching for the horizon line and then machine embroidered waves( it's the same scallop stitch I had used for the fish scales but I manipulated the stitch width as I sewed so the waves were bigger in the center and smaller at their edges.



The first day of creation was just pieced black and white silk.



You can see a bit of the atara here. The verse we used is from Genesis 2:4.

אֵ֣לֶּה תוֹלְד֧וֹת הַשָּׁמַ֛יִם וְהָאָ֖רֶץ בְּהִבָּֽרְאָ֑ם
Such is the story of heaven and earth when they were created

I stenciled a border on the ribbon. There is a layer of batting under the atara.




























אֵ֣לֶּה תוֹלְד֧וֹת הַשָּׁמַ֛יִם וְהָאָ֖רֶץ בְּהִבָּֽרְאָ֑ם 






The tallit gets picked up tomorrow.

Comments

  1. Hello Sarah,
    The Tallit is a work of art. I have appreciated that you have shown us all the steps and the final reveal. The deep thought you have put in to get each day just right. I am guessing when a problem came up you found a solution at an unexpected time and way to get the best result. Please let us know how Ezra liked it. Will you be attending the Bar Mitzvah? If so enjoy the happy occasion.
    Sheila in SC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both Ezra and his father were really, really pleased with the final results. For me the biggest issue is how to create stripes that clearly indicated which day of creation it was but also didn't fall into "so representational that it could be seen as idolatry".

      Judaism is less cut and dried about issues of representation than say, Islam---but knowing which side of the fence you are on is a matter of just knowing. I also didn't want the tallit to look like a children's storybook about creation.

      There were also some technical sewing/engineering issues that arose because I am adding stripes from both the right and the wrong side.

      Deciding to use the Petersham ribbon was just a good choice. I love the stark black . It helps the piece "read' more easily as a tallit despite the fact that in many ways it isn't a traditional tallit. Ezra will be wearing this tallit in a variety of settings both funky-new-age Jewish communities as well as very traditional settings. This can work in both. Additionally the Petersham is lightweight and flexible and has the bonus quality of not being slippery so the tallit can be worn comfortably.

      I won't be at Ezra's bar-mitzvah but I will be thinking of him tomorrow.

      Thanks so much for taking the time to comment Sheila.

      Delete
  2. AMAZING. This is not the first of your Tallit creations that I've seen. All have been amazing. This one especially so because I can't see both sides at the same time, but your reasoning plus the design really intrigued me. Glad the recipients appreciated it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS. I just now realized I can see both sides. WONDERFUL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A WORK OF ART Sarah!!! So creative and beautiful.
    I am sure Ezra will use and cherish his Tallit for ever.

    Margy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sarah,
    I am speechless. This is just wonderful and I so appreciate the description of all of the parts. I also hope that Ezra will cherish this!

    Betsey

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ann- so glad you figured out the both sided thing. I added the last two photos a day or so later so you may not have seen the images the first time you looked.

    Margy and Betsey---Thank you!Kubler-Ross talks about the stages of grief.I go through so many stages of emotion when i complete a big piece There is the idea in my head stage followed by the working away stage. At some point I am at the stage when it all looks awful---either to me, or i know that despite my knowing how good it will look in the end it looks like a giant mess to others. When I first complete a piece often all I can see are the flaws---and sometimes I finish a piece and I am jumping up and down with joy because it came out as good or better as the vision in my head---but then when people say nice things I get all embarrassed...and I guess that's where I am right now.

    Betsey--- I have seen some of your truly impressive work so i am honored by your beautiful words.

    I think Ezra does get that I made him a good piece. When I make a tallit I know that it will be used and interacted with in a deep and intimate way over many years. I try to make something where details may only be revealed over time and with use.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love hearing from my readers. I moderate comments to weed out bots.It may take a little while for your comment to appear.