Feathers on my mind and some other topics

 Ezra is having his bar-mitzvah on Shabbat B'reishit, the Shabbat when we read the story of creation. After a whole lot of discussion, some of it on Zoom and some in real life we decided that his tallit would be made up of seven stripes (on each side), each stripe representing a day of creation. Because Judaism has a less than comfortable relationship with imagery we decided that the depictions of what is created each day should skew towards the abstract.


I haven't yet made the first day of creation but  I have it designed, at least in my mind. Day one of creation, in case you forgot is the separation of light from the darkness.


I had made the stripes for day two of creation,


the separation of the waters above and below the firmament or horizon. 


It was time to tackle some of the other days. In my usual manner, I am not creating these strips in biblical order but in the order that strikes my fancy.



I began work on day five, the day that the creatures of the water and those of the sky were created. 


I decided to stitch a series of closely spaced scallop stitches to look like fish scales.



I hadn't yet worked out how exactly to symbolize the birds of the sky. I had thought about making lots of feathered bird wings. I threw that idea into the dust bin of discarded ideas.



I then started looking at various images of feathers. I then sketched some out with watercolors.



I wasn't exactly sure how best to translate the sketches on paper to the fabric. Finally, after lots of deliberation, I decided to stitch the quill of the feather using a tiny zigzag stitch and then to paint the feathers themselves using fabric dye.


The feathers are painted in lots of small stages with time for the dye to dry between each layer of color.






Like nearly everything I do there was a stage during the day when my feathers looked like an unfortunate mistake.


I am actually quite pleased with the result.

Progress is being made on the fourth day of creation.

I still have to make up the lights for the day (the sun).


I am working on Ezra's tallit while I am working out kinks in the production of the baby quilt.

A few days ago I posted about a visit to an antique store. I posted photos of several items including this lovely dresser scarf with crochet ends with the unusual woven detail.



Shari Adams one of my sewing pals sent me these two photos of a crochet collar that is part of her collection.


Yes, it is worked with a heavier thread than the dresser scarf, but it is clearly the same pattern.


Perhaps there was a brief fad for this sort of woven crochet work.it reminds me a bit of Battenerg lace (seen below)

where one incorporates thin cotton tape into crochet work.



I was so happy to see Shari's collar.


Earlier this week this photo was on the front page of the Wall Street Journal.




It reminded me of a painting that hung in our living room my entire childhood.



My parents' painting was by Constantine Arvenites, a Rockport Massachusetts-based painter.  When my parents bought the painting they were told that it depicted the Armenian genocide. They bought the painting because it struck a nerve and reminded them of Jews being driven from their homes.

I hope perhaps, being foolishly optimistic that things won't be completely awful in Afganistan.





Comments