Outside

 This past week had created more opportunities for me to be out and about so this post is basically a roundup of things that caught y eye during the week.

Tanta Marcia and I met for dinner at Ayurveda, a vegetarian Indian restaurant a few blocks away. Eating there feels like eating at your Indian Bubbie's house. There isn't a menu. You eat what they serve you and they will feed you until you are full. Sometimes the food is really delicious, and other times it is not. When Marcia and I went out to eat on Sunday the food was kind of terrible but they serve the food with such love for their customers that it is hard to get terribly annoyed at them. My grandmothers were both terrible cooks so it really does feel like a meal with a Bubbie. Being with Marcia was as always a treat so than more than made up for the food.


The views of the sunset were also wonderful.




Monday we met out-of-town friends for dinner. We had seen them last in person just as the pandemic hit and they escaped the city in a mad panic.

On our way to meet them, we passed this nice row of brownstones bathed in the late afternoon light.



We also saw some excellent windows.







I had noticed this building clearly built by an overly eager developer.


I suspect that he anticipated the side streets of the West Side to be one day filled with really tall buildings. The charming building had this detail that I had never noticed before.




After dinner, we walked home.


I have spent enough of my life among young boys to find the supermarket sign edited by burned-out neon bulbs to be amusing

We walked past a fancy thrift store. They have a really good window dresser on staff.

I love both the mod lamp and the antique Belleek tea set. 







Last night I had to deliver something to a friend. while walking home I noticed that some restaurants have made a silk purse out of the restrictions of the pandemic. 





This restaurant transformed the space between the actual restaurant and the outdoor seating space into a bower.





I could pretend for a few minutes that I wasn't walking home along Broadway but was instead in a charming spot in Italy.



A few blocks north I window shopped at an antique store.


Maybe I really am in desperate need of a chandelier?







A new ugly building is going up upstairs from what used to be a supermarket, a drugstore a dance club, and The Gap.

What looks like cool mid-century modern blue-tinted windows is just the protective film on top of the glass.


Wear your mask. Stay alive.

Shabbat Shalom!

Comments