Food Friday and a visit to the thrift

Just a quick post because I need a nap before Shabbat dinner. Today's dinner is all about remote collaboration.


My friend Alan, the excellent challah baker, was sad because his kitchen was too hot while his challot were rising. While I was commiserating with him on Facebook about the frustrations of baking challot in the heat of the summer while cooking other things--I managed to drop a bunch of whole coriander into my challah dough and had to fish it all out and toss it in the trash. I then ground up some dry coriander. You can also see that I glazed my challot unevenly.


I know that the folks eating at our table will not complain. I do know that Alan and I will be grumbling as we taste our challot tonight. We KNOW what has gone wrong. Hopefully, all of my fretting will be internal and I won't be tormenting my guests.


Our older son is joining us. I asked him what sort of chicken he wanted. He suggested the awesome gochujong and Molasses mixture that I had made a while back. Unfortunately, I haven't visited the Korean market for more of that excellent sweet-hot pepper paste. Inspired by my son's wishes I mixed up molasses and hot sauce. I believe I added a couple of other ingredients to the mix but I can't say for sure exactly what I added to the bowl.

I cooked the chicken atop the tiny sweet peppers that were getting exhausted in the fridge. I could pretend that that was a planned addition to our meal, but that would be a lie.



I haven't left the house all week because I have been under the weather. It is my usual sinus crud. I spent most of the week prone on the living room couch. Today I am feeling somewhat better and bought tomatoes from the pushcart guy on the corner of 96th street. They are cooking on a low heat in the oven.

 I took advantage of my time out and visited Housingworks, the local thrift. They had this couch with fabulous velour upholstery.


It is one of a pair. I think that if I owned it I would have to own a pair of flowy Quina pajamas with palazzo pants in a pale slate grey and swan through my apartment while I held a glass of Chardonnay in one hand and a Virginia Slims cigarette in the other.

If you are in need of a bridesmaid dress there are many to choose from. All have been donated by the manufacturers. There were more bridesmaid dresses that I didn't photograph.


I am sure that there is a setting where this lamp or its twin would look beautiful


but that place is not my house.

I'm going to wrap this up so I can lie down before Shabbat dinner.


Shabbat Shalom!




Comments

  1. hello Sarah, I have never commented properly to your writings. I figured out how to do that, I had sent another message once but it did not go through and now I know the process to click on the title...
    Anyway, I enjoy your posts but today felt a lot of joy knowing you felt good enough to go to the thrift store and show us what you saw. It scratched my itch to go because I have not had time to go lately. I also liked your making a great meal with what you had.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Walli-

    Just seeing your name gives me joy!

    So completely delighted that you stop by to visit here. I hope tha you and yours are all doing well.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love hearing from my readers. I moderate comments to weed out bots.It may take a little while for your comment to appear.