שַׁחַר אֲבַקֶּשְׁךָ צוּרִי וּמִשְׂגַּבִּי At dawn I seek You


 This beautiful photo was sent to me this morning. Even if you didn't know that this photo was taken in Israel or who the young woman in the photo is or who made the tallit it would still be a photo that would make you stop for a moment to admire all of the glowing beauty in the image.


I met the young woman in the photo soon after she moved to New York as a little girl.  There are some children who emerge from the womb with their personalities the same from the moment they are born until they die. Other kids are still as moldable as plasticine needing life to help form them.  I saw Ella for the first time during High Holiday services when she was rushing up the aisle with some friends wearing a hat, carrying a messenger bag, and wearing sturdy shoes. She was a girl on a mission. She was stunningly completely her adult self inside the body of a child.

By the time it was time for Ella to get ready for her bat-mitzvah she and her parents and I were already friends. We met to design her tallit.

Together we came up with this




as the design for Ella's tallit. If you want, you can read the post describing our tallit designing meeting here.




 While I make a tallit ( or anything else for that matter) my client and their various sets of needs both spoken and unspoken live with me during the weeks and months that I work on their project.


Once the tallit leaves my house it completely belongs to my client. I suppose that some of the bar and bat mitzvah kids I have worked with wear their tallitot once and then it gets shoved into the back of a drawer. Other kids wear their tallitot just on High Holidays. I have an intense relationship with my client while I am working for them and then the thing I have made goes off into the world.

I saw Ella nearly every Shabbat in our synagogue. She finished high school . She went on a gap-year program in Israel. Ella joined the Israeli army and had a fancy army job that included direct dealings with foreign diplomats. Ella would come home to visit her parents and come to synagogue and wear her tallit. Ella finished her army service and is now off on other adventures.


So here is a photo of as the Irish would charmingly say "our Ella" davening at sunrise in Israel wrapped in the tallit I had made for her---as completely herself as she was the first time I set eyes on her. I am moved nearly to tears that this tallit has accompanied her on her adult adventures.
 


Shabbat Shalom!

Comments

  1. Hi Sarah,
    What a beautiful picture. I enjoyed the story behind the pic. That Ella has taken it with her all over brought tears to my eyes. The tallit is beautiful, thank you for referencing the blog about the meeting and the process. I have learned so much from you over the years. Not just about the process but also more about Jewish life.

    Sheila in SC

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very moving and a tribute to who you are, very special!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PCH- it is always a partnership. A piece based just on my ideas would be far less interesting

      Delete
  3. Dear Sheila in SC,

    THANK YOU!

    I always worry about hitting the right balance in this blog. Some of my readers come here mostly through the world of sewing and know a nominal amount about Judaism. Other readers know me from the Jewish universe---some of them teach in rabbinical schools. I try to hit the balance between making the world of Jewish practice and ritual understandable for those who are not Jewish and at the same time not get too obnoxiously explain-ey.

    Another balance I try to hit is that of not being too self promotional. I find blogs that do that to be a less than pleasant reading experience.

    Most of all, thanks for stopping by and thanks for your kind words.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love hearing from my readers. I moderate comments to weed out bots.It may take a little while for your comment to appear.