On the road to Pesach

 Our Pesach adventures have begun.


 Saturday night I got the stove kashered. Normally I get the kitchen switched into Passover move in one fell swoop. This year, it was a two part adventure.


Sunday we had planned to celebrate two important family events, our daughter and son-in-law's anniversary and our youngest's birthday. Izzy's the fabulous Kosher Brooklyn barbeque joint opened an outpost few blocks from our house. They had catered our daughter's wedding so eating their food seemed a fitting way to mark their day.


Our daughter showed up at our apartment early to help me with the great Pesach switch. The rest of the celebrants joined us outside the restaurant.




We placed our order and waited for our food.



It was a spectacularly beautiful day. I realized that I usually miss these perfect spring days because they tend to occur while I am prepping for Passover.


Our food was finally ready, we walked to central park and decided to eat on a rock outcropping so we could eat together and still be socially distant enough to be safe.


We were hungry. The food was excellent.




The company was excellent as well.








Why yes, my youngest does look startlingly like my late father-in-law.





After we stuffed ourselves with smokey meat goodness, the kids were kind enough to help me get the dishes down from the top shelf in the kitchen and bring all of the boxes of dishes from their hidden places all over our apartment.  I then finished the process of setting the kitchen up for Passover.


There were tasks that had to be tackled first, like the making of the pickled beet eggs for our seder plates.


No, this isn't a standard Jewish Passover custom but one that is specific to our family. If you let the eggs sit in the magenta brine for a week then the white will turn completely pink all the way through to the yolk. It's gorgeous. We learned about pickled beet eggs while on a visit to Lancaster, PA.

Pickled Beet Eggs
Hard boil eggs and peel-(older eggs are far easier to peel)
the brining liquid is made out of equal parts beet juice, sugar, and vinegar 
I use the juice from cans of sliced beets- for about two dozen eggs I used two cans of beets( although it may have been three)
Put hard boiled eggs, beet juice sugar and vinegar in a pan. Cut the beets from the can smaller and add to pan as well
simmer for 30 -40 minutes
put the contents of the pan into a glass jar and store in the fridge for at least a week before eating
You may add spices to the brine. I love adding cloves but didn't this year because I didn't have any 



I had other tasks to do as well. Often when I get an invitation to a charity event there will be a listing of the  members of the gala committee. The invitations always state that the committee is "in formation".

Well, this is my Pesach chicken soup in formation.




I let the soup cook overnight. Yesterday I spent the day straining the soup. It is a big  and messy job. Every bit of vegetable and every bone gets mashed and squeezed through a towel so all of the flavors go into the soup. I then strain and restrain all of the soup through a tea towel so most of the fat and all of the gunk gets left behind.

This is the front line of my freezer. I made twelve quarts of beautiful soup.


 I also made two kinds of charoset yesterday. I made nut-free charoset for my youngest.



I made Charoset with nuts for the rest of us

What went into our charoset???
red apples
green apples
pears
dried apricots
figs
dates
raisins
fresh ginger
almonds 
walnuts
pecans
silan (date molasses)
cinnamon
a whole orange
a whole lemon
red wine
( I stupidly opened our fanciest bottle of red wine and used it)
This year I used the food processor. I actually prefer hand-chopping my charoset but there is much work to do and I am the only one cooking this year

The flavors need to marinate for a while to develop and meld so it is better to make this early.



I also made chicken. Inspired bout our visit to Izzy's I made hot sweet smokey chicken flavored with silan, black pepper, liquid smoke.




and cayenne. These four chickens were made yesterday. Another three are in the oven as I type this.

Today I am pretty exhausted and am going much more slowly.


There are many dishes to cook before I sleep...







Comments

Post a Comment

I love hearing from my readers. I moderate comments to weed out bots.It may take a little while for your comment to appear.