Staying home


 This morning I read a discussion on Facebook about approaching the year anniversary of Covid lockdown. Sara suggested that we should think of this year less as lockdown and more as staying home.




My friend Bonnie  Zaben suggested that this time is awfully similar to the rituals of Shiva and mourning. We don't wear shoes, we don't daven in public, we don't worry about personal appearance. We aren't attending concerts or the theatre.




The Jewish year of mourning lasts just eleven months. At the end of that eleven months, we emerge lighter and less burdened by our sorrow. I wish that were as true of Covid. We approach the anniversary of our staying home. We still don't know when our time of confinement comes to an end.




The scaffolding and netting that surrounds my building seem especially apt during this time of staying home.



Regardless of the state of the world, it is still Shabbat tonight.


I made red chicken for my husband.


Sumac, cayenne pepper, sweet paprika, hot paprika, smoked paprika, and black pepper are what you see in my little red bowl.

I rubbed the mixture all over a whole chicken.


I put the chicken in the oven and did my workout


At the end of my workout,


it looked like this.



I also baked challah this week. I got a little fancy with the braiding to mark my husband's birthday.


Last year we were able to celebrate

with friends and family all eating and drinking in the same space.




 Hopefully next year we will be able to do so once again.




Comments