The cooking is done

 I had actually hoped to write a post about something entirely different and sewing related, but my day was taken up with food prep today. ( I hope to write the post that is brewing in my head soon)




Six mammoth acorn squash got turned into...



sliced squash baked with a spicy maple dressing.


Because three pies and honey cake may not be quite enough dessert I also made meringues. They are studded with dried cranberries and big shards of bittersweet chocolate.



I made cranberry relish. it is hard to believe that such a complex flavor is made out of just cranberries, sugar, and an orange that were chopped in a food processor.




Because there is never enough cranberry I also made a whole berry sauce. The photo below is the recipe.



I got a little bit fancy and added some orange peel and two cloves.



I covered the bowl with plastic wrap and microwaved it until the berries popped. I think it may have taken seven or eight minutes. I prefer the microwaved sauce to a stovetop sauce because there is no added water to dilute the cranberry fabulousness. Between the cranberry chocolate pie and these two sauces, I have gone through four pounds of berries in less than a week.

We needed dinner for tonight, so I cooked.



What you see is cod cooked over a bed of grape tomatoes and mushrooms with some bulghur wheat added most of the way through the cooking to absorb all of the cooking liquid. 

I am now waiting for the gravy to cool down enough so I can put it into a plastic container without melting said container. Aside from baking rolls, the cooking portion of our Thanksgiving adventure is over. The big job tomorrow is setting up food packages for our cohort.

Have a meaningful day tomorrow. If you are reading this, you haven't been killed by Covid-19, and that is something to be grateful for.


Comments