Food Friday and three unrelated topiocs

 For the food portion of this post, I offer you


chicken legs cooked in a marinade of pomegranate molasses and mustard and then topped with pomegranate arils. I may have added other flavors to the marinade but I no longer remember exactly what they were.

The fruit and vegetable pushcart a couple of blocks away has become my favorite place to buy produce since the pandemic hit. The selection isn't very broad but I can shop outside. Lately, the pushcart has been selling pomegranates and some have been wonderful. Big fat leeks have been for sale as well. So we have been eating lots of potato leek soup. 


Today I decided to make a batch in our slow cooker.


At the moment, it just looks like wet salad but hopefully, by the time we sit down to eat dinner, it will be a proper soup.



Our challot just went into the oven. I finally figured out that we can make do with smaller challot since there are just three of us at the table. This also means that I only have to bake challah once every three weeks instead of every other week. 


And now a round-up of three tiny topics that are unrelated to the rest of the post, and to one another.

Tiny Topic 1

Work is being done on my building. Scaffolding has gone up. Which gave me the odd pleasure of seeing someone right outside our window, not six flights down but close up.


Netting was put up outside the scaffolding. I think it is put up to keep debris from falling to the street on a windy day.




The netting plays visual tricks with our view.

It makes the buildings across the street appear to be much closer.

The combination of the netting and the scaffolding also makes it look like we have a porch or balcony outside of our living room window which makes me feel as if our apartment has gained a room. 


It may very well be that no one aside from me finds this as amusing as I do. But during these pandemic times, you take your joy where you can get it.

Tiny Topic 2

Earlier this week, my friend Tanta Marcia took me out for dinner. I haven't eaten dinner out in a restaurant since before COVID-19 hit.


We ate here.


Eating at Ayurveda feels like eating at your Indian grandmother's house. There is no menu. They just feed you until you are full. Do you want seconds on your lentils? No problem. Are you sure you don't want more raita??? White rice or brown? How about both? The food isn't fabulous but they fuss over you and keep offering to bring you more of this or that.  


They set us up at two tables on the sidewalk so we could be socially distant while we ate dinner together. The combination of being with Tanta Marcia and our waiter fussing over us made me feel very, very loved.

Tiny Topic 3
 
My husband unearthed a box of color slides taken by his uncle Irving in the very early 1950s. Many of them were of dashing Irving in a bathing suit with his arm around one or another glam young woman in a bathing suit. Irving was a handsome man about town. 

Some of the images were of my husband with his family near their home in Brooklyn. My husband had a few photos printed. 

I just love this photo of the man I married.




Shabbat Shalom!




Comments