Food Friday and some odds and ends

 My friends who live just to the north of us tell me that they woke up to a dusting of snow. We ate truly in the thick of autumn. The scaffolding and netting outside our windows have changed our views.











We can pretend for the duration that instead of living in a more than century old dowager of a building, instead, we are living in a piece of Avante Garde architecture.

The cold weather makes orange starchy vegetables especially appealing. I boiled a few giant sweet potatoes in heavily spiced water. I then mashed the sweet potatoes with a big spoon and picked put the skins. I added more spices(cinnamon, coriander ginger, and black pepper) and added a couple of teaspoons of chopped etrog jam, a glug of spiced rum, and a couple of eggs, and baked the whole thing in the oven.

 The protein portion of Shabbat dinner is 





meatballs that were made with lots of pulverized dried mushrooms. Mushrooms make the meat taste meatier. There were also spices involved. Until I taste the meatballs later this evening I won't be able to tell you exactly what I added to the chopped meat.


Way back at the end of May, the plastic support for our fridge shelf broke. An insane amount of my summer was taken up with trying to get the part delivered to us. I am not going to bore you with the hours I spent on hold, the many many phone calls and emails that it took to acquire the plastic glass shelf holder. I will tell you that many, many hours were spent on this endeavor. At some point in August, we were promised a November 8th delivery of the part.


Today the top shelf support arrived.



Like everything else related to this shelf. Figuring how to install the tempered glass into the shelf support was not easy. But it was a joint effort between my husband and myself and we now after a long time have a normal-looking fridge.

But I guess our hard-working washing machine was feeling neglected and had begun screaming during the spin cycle. The repairman is only two hours late.


Shabbat Shalom!



Comments