Things to watch

 I just stumbled on this wonderful movie yesterday.





You can watch it on Amazon Prime. It's joyful and funny, despite being a Holocaust documentary. It's also about the healing that comes with preparing food for people you love and the power of friendship. I could not help but remember my dear friend Herta and her beloved husband Lester watching this film. I could not help but think of all of the meals they so lovingly prepared both for their family and their community. Just watch this. You can thank me later.


If you have trouble connecting to the clip above, this is the link to the Oma and Bella trailer


For my sewing buddies, I have become obsessed with this series of sewing videos. They are completely mesmerizing. The cutting-out techniques are amazing. I am particularly blown away by how body parts are used instead of tape measures. The presenter used body parts to measure in her sure fashion and then shows the measurement on a tape measure. 


For example, the distance from pinky to thumb tip when your hands are splayed is 8 inches. I  feel like I have been looking for instructional videos like these for years.   I love the use what you have around the spirit of these videos. I have seen the presenter use everything from chalk to crayons to Sharpees to mark the fabric.




On the downside, the English translations are often quirky (to be polite)but you really don't need to read the English (unless you want to be amused). Also on the downside is the background music you can ignore the music easily enough.


Some of the fabric and embellishment choices may not be to your taste. 

white flyaway dress with red trim


Many of those choices are not to my taste either.


There is a ton to learn about technique here.


The presenter (you only see her from fingertips to elbows) does a fabulous job explaining visually.



Her methods are just sensible. I hope you enjoy them as much as I do.

Comments