...and now back to our regularly scheduled programming...

I am aware that despite the name of this blog, I haven't been writing about sewing all that often in the past while. This post, at least goes back to the subject.


Summer dresses tend to have a shorter life span than dresses worn during the cooler months. Hot weather fabrics tend to be a bit less sturdy. sweat is also corrosive to fabrics. The result is that summer dresses live a hard and fast life.

The weather had been almost freakishly cold this spring so I could keep wearing cool weather dresses. over the past few days as I went to my closet to choose something to wear, my options seemed more and more limited. 


I had made this dress several weeks ago,



from a stretch suiting. I had purchased this fabric for my youngest who loves black and white checkerboard. It was too much of a variation on checkerboard to make him happy and not the real thing.


This dress was fast to make up and I like wearing it. It is, however, better suited for those cold New England springs when you want to wear something bright but it is too cool to wear spring clothes.




I purchased this fabric from Kashi at Metro Textiles back in the old days when you could wander into a fabric store and touch bolts of fabric and muse about what you would make with the fabric. I loved this fabric so much that I bought in on three different occasions in three different colors. I have already turned the red and the teal versions of this fabric into dresses I wear all the time. It's a light weight rayon knit with a cool texture heat pressed into the fabric.  Without the texture, it's a perfectly OK fine stripe. The texture just bumps the fabric up a notch .




It's now this dress that you will probably see me wearing often. 

While inspecting the content of my closet I came across a dress that I don't wear often because it isn't particularly flattering on me these days.  I wore it a few days ago and while wearing it, I realized that it would look a whole lot better if it were darted.



Now this dress is back into rotation.

I also got going on some client work.

Max's bar-mitzvah was supposed to be in mid-May. It has been rescheduled for the fall. 

One of the hardest tasks is figuring how to transfer lettering for fabric to be embroidered. I have done this in any number of ways over the years.  I decided this time to use an old technique. I calligraphed the letters onto a piece of old cotton. (This is not any old piece of cotton this is a sheet my husband bought during his Paris year.  It holds a great deal of sentimental value to him which is why it is not just in the rag bag.)

You then baste the strip of cotton onto the fabric that needs to be embroidered.


Then you begin to embroider the lettering. 


I am doing a satin stitch over a row of stitching. The first set of stitching is there to give the satin stitching a bit of padding and look more luxurious.





After all of the embroidery is done I will pull away all of the cotton thread by thread. The embroidery will be all that is visible.  I have seen descriptions of this method since I was a little kid but I have not actually done it before. I hope I won't be cursing too much when it comes to pulling away each thread of the cotton sheet.






Today I also took some time to make a birthday gift for a friend.  The fabric was from a purchase of samples of high end home dec fabrics at my local thrift store. I just thought that this was gorgeous fabric. It's linen mixed with  I don't know what. The weave reminds me of Anni Albers.










I added a tiny bit of embroidery. This just felt very right for my friend who understands the world through the small details.


It feels good to get things accomplished.

Comments