Food Friday- Don't Let the Door Hit You On the Way Out Edition

Tonight is kind of a momentous Shabbat.  Our older son moves out on Sunday. He had signed a lease on an apartment uptown from us on April 1, but Corona Virus, and Passover had put a crimp in his plans to not just pay rent, but actually to live in his apartment with a roommate.  I'm delighted that he has a steady income and can move out. Unfortunately, once he moves out he is part of a different household and can't visit us unless he is masked (and us too) and socially distanced. 

He goes off into the world an excellent cook and bread baker. If i play my cards right he may share his sour dough starter with me.

I wanted to put a bit more effort into this meal.

I made red chicken, that is chicken with smoked paprika, hot paprika, cayenne and black pepper.



I massaged the spices into the chicken and cooked it on a bed of potatoes, carrots and parsnips. Here it is before cooking.


 And after cooking...






Despite the fact that getting food is still a little complicated, I wanted to add a couple of fun notes to the meal. Given that this is for my older son, the fun came in the form of chicken wings.



We had gotten almost to the bottom of a bottle of maple syrup so the dregs of that bottle mixed with mustard poured over the wings, make for a delicious last Shabbat at home.

I had two egg whites left over from noodles I had made a while back, so those got turned into meringues. (Two egg whites need 1/2 a cup of sugar and a spec of salt to turn into meringues after lots of whipping. Bake at 325 until the meringues feel like they have a crisp outer shell when poked with your finger.)








Every Passover, some items in my pantry seem to hide when we change the kitchen back. This year the amazing  Mexican vanilla  that our daughter and her husband brought back fro their honeymoon for us had gone AWOL. Last night my husband found it. A cap-full went into the meringues as well as bits of the candied orange peels I had made last week.

Although the nights have been cold (I have been sleeping in two sweaters these days and under a giant pile of blankets) The trees on Broadway have decided that it is truly springtime.














It seems that we may be able to emerge in a few weeks.




 








Comments